Saws and space issues

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrs C

Established Member
Reaction score
I am having to move my workshop into an even smaller space. To date I have been relying on a track saw for everything, but the new space isn't overly wide and I think it will be a pain. I simply don't have space for a table saw. I have a 3.5m wall against which ideally I want to fit a router table, saw and workbench.

I am debating a miter saw, but not sure if that will be as equally painful as will just get in the way. The next project is kitchen cabinets where I will need to purloin the garage to do the big bits, but thought a miter saw might do the rest.

Thoughts? How can I make a small space go a long way?

Thanks

hand tools. :)

things like a CMS can be moved to a shelf when not in use, put your router in to your work bench instead of having a dedicated router table, use a table saw as part of your bench or make your bench tall enough it will slip under it. basically think about storage of tools instead of having them out all the time.

I'd be seriously looking at Cutwrights for the kitchn cabinets - its tedious and not all that easy with just a tracksaw. Doable but a pain. My SCMS is proably the least used bit of kit in my shop now.

I work out of a 3x2m shed and it can get very cramped in there! That said, I managed to build our kitchen (freestanding units and one at a time), dining table, a bed, good sized coffee table, 7 doors for built-in wardrobes and many other smaller items, so it can be done :D

The setup I've settled on consists of 2 MFT type benches: one good and solid with shelving underneath and an actual MFT next to it which can be folded down and laid against the wall when the space is needed. All tools (except cr*ppy crufty ones) are stored in the house and get brought out as needed; it's very much about configuring the space for the task at hand.

I have a fold-away dewalt mitre stand which takes either mitre saw as well as a lunchbox thicknesser. Also, a table top router table that comes out when absolutely needed and has a stand so I can use the main workbench as an outfeed table. If I can use my smaller handheld router I do that to save having to rejig everything.

I couldn't / wouldn't be without my track saw as it's very versatile in the roles it can fill (processing sheet goods and ripping and crosscutting all pretty accurately) without taking up the space of dedicated table and mitre saws. It takes longer to set cuts up compared to having the dedicated machinery, but that's the price you pay for working out of a shoebox. I wouldn't be without a mitre saw though as there's times when it just makes repetitive and / or angled cuts so very much quicker and easier.

If I were you I'd be having the garage for a workshop ;)

The biggest issue in small spaces is handling long lengths of sheet or board. It may well be a fact of life that you need to handle big stuff outside, and so fixed positions for gear will not work. What can be very useful in such circumstances is an awning or canvas pop up shelter. Cheap and flexible.

Two heavy duty trestles and a door or kitchen worktop laid on them will flexibly accommodate pretty much any portable machine.

Have you considered a site-sized table saw with removable extensions? I have an EB PK200 and if I take the extensions off it's tiny - could give you the best of both worlds?

Back