TRA001 User Error?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveF

Established Member
Reaction score
I have an unused triton in my router table
spring removed
I can lower the cutter by
a. button is out & twist\squeeze orange ring
b. above table fine adjuster
I am struggling to lift the cutter
a. If I use the orange ring I have to use other hand below router to help lift
b. above table adjust sort of "grinds" as is not working

what am i doing wrong please?

Steve

Dust or corrosion in the slide bearings would be my guess. Does unused mean unused by you, or unused as in new?

As I understand it the routers on and off switch must be in the off position as it has an interlock that prevents the cutter being wound to the highest position for cutter changes. My triton is usually switched on as the tables nvr switch is used to power on and off when in use. I often forget that I have to switch off the mechanical switch on the router to raise the collet to its fullest height for changing.

Just had a look at mine and realised there may be a simpler problem.

Have you checked that the plunge depth stop locking screw is released - perhaps you are trying to lift it further than the depth stop wants to allow?

it is brand new
depth stop bar is pushed all the way into casing and locked off so not anywhere near the turret
no power applied and switch door closed
a bit of an update
I removed the plate and took the 2 bolts away that are used for the fence
bolted back to plate and it now works
however there is still a sort of grinding noise
I am wondering if the base of the router racks a bit when is bolted to plate (incra)
they are only Phillips head so I cannot imagine being possible to tighten that much
I am wondering if I should refit the plastic base and some longer screws...any thoughts?

Steve

I've got a MOF001 (which I think is similar) mounted in a table and the micro adjuster clutch slips when trying to raise the cutter with the micro adjuster nowadays. The clutch just does not have enough 'grip' to raise the weight of the router (and I've cleaned out any dust). Might be the same problem.

I have a a TRA001 mounted to an Incra plate and it works without hassle. Not sure this helps, but just saying that it is definitely a combo that works!

FWIW I bypassed the locking switch and installed an external nvr, as it irritated me after a while. See http://www.thewoodnerd.com/tips/tritonInterlock.html Obviously only do this if you 're never going to remove the router from the table!

Other than this I can't fault it. Great router

I've got that router, and depending on its age, it comes with either a fine adjuster worm gear made of plastic (prone to failure) or metal. My plastic one failed, and I replaced it with a metal gear.

Works better now, but I still usually support the router when I'm raising it, and I prefer to get the height approximately correct, and then use the fine adjuster to creep DOWN to the right setting. My router table is steel, so I never got round to installing the above-table adjuster - I'm also not convinced it would work well.

it is only 8 months old and I expect it not to be old stock
hard to tell with date codes from them
I have decided to pack it in box and send it for repair
rather it was sorted now than when it dies
I started the thread hoping someone would know the issue and thankyou all for trying to help

Steve

Back