Planer knife bolt stuck

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wallace

Established Member
Reaction score
I have one of those clone p/t's for doing small stuff, I think its a sealey. One of the alan key bolts that hold the knives has rounded off. I have honed the blades in place a couple of times but they really need to come out for a proper sharpen.
Whats the best coarse of action to get the stud out. They look hardened so not sure if it will drill out.

Obvious thing perhaps, releasing fluid, could also try asking on one of the metalworking sites with a photo.

powertools":1tw64mbe said:
This may sound brutal but it will work. Just hammer in the next size up Allen key
Or a torx bit.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

This happened to me on the SIP version. I used a small cutting wheel in a Dremel to cut a slot in the damaged bolt and used an impact driver to get it out. 2 of mine were damaged and both came out without drama using this method. I then changed all bolts for new. Good luck.

dont know size of bolt ,but if big enough i have used screw extractor before, we used to call them easyouts you can get a set from screwfix for about a fiver, simply drill a hole in damaged bolt screw extractor into hole and screw it out, they are hardened and will take some stick tip soak with wd 40 for a while after you have drilled the hole will help as well. good luck

cut a slot with a dremel then use a big flat screwdriver (better an impact driver with an sl8 bit), take any belts of the block and hit it with a heat gun

edit

sorry just seen the reply above,

TopCat 32":2qp2o5d6 said:
dont know size of bolt ,but if big enough i have used screw extractor before, we used to call them easyouts

+1 for using an easyout. You've already got the pilot hole, no need to drill one.

wallace":hchoe89h said:
I have one of those clone p/t's for doing small stuff, I think its a sealey. One of the alan key bolts that hold the knives has rounded off. I have honed the blades in place a couple of times but they really need to come out for a proper sharpen.
Whats the best coarse of action...
Replace it with a Wadkin :mrgreen: (come on, you know you want to).

Okay, I'm going...

Cheers, Vann.

I'd consider an Easyout as a last resort. It's not unheard of for them to snap off which doesn't help matters at all.
At least it hasn't been rusting in place for fifty years so will probably come out easily enough once moved. Cut a slot and use an impact driver sounds like a good plan.

John I've got a 18" MJ but its a bit overkill for small stuff plus I'm too lazy to keep having to walk from one end to the other. With the little sealey the extraction hood is good and I can stand in one spot to feed and collect the wood. There ok if you don't mind the scream they make. Its absolutely hopeless for planing but fine for thicknessing. I wander if wadkin ever made a benchtop thicknesser

Common issue on cutter heads. Best for me, as Coley suggested, was a Torx bit, aided by a large hammer..., had to do it twice, replaced all with good quality hex bolts. But check tolerances, on some models a hex bolt can be too proud.

Back