Bathroom refit

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodenstx

Established Member
Reaction score
I guess this is the right place as its not explicitly woodwork :)

In a few weeks we are going to scrape the existing bathroom bare (plasterboard out etc) and redo the room nicely and properly.
Most of the reason is that the existing tiiles have blown off the wall due to water ingress or generally shoddy workmanship prior to us.

With that in mind, for the shower over bath area, do I get the swanky water'proof' aquapanel AND tank the area for the joints, or would regular decent quality gyproc do and still tank it?

I'm planning to for OTT on the stud framing and have them at circa 150mm centres at the bath end, and maybe 200mm on the sides, with a sheet of ply or OSB then the plasterboard of choice from above. That way it shouldnt ever move to cause the tiles to get compromised.

Unless I'm being mental and overengineering things, which is my usual tact anyway, Thoughts?

It is of course entirely up to you how much you spend but having recently had our bathrooms refitted with aquapanel I wouldn't go back to tiles.

Ours was fitted for us but it's certainly a DIY task if your up for it. No tanking required which helps make for a faster install.

Ah, I meant the waterproof plasterboard (not the green MR stuff), and then Metro tile over it

I can't see the point of ply or OSB between studs and plasterboard/aquapanel. I've only done this when the wall is going to have kitchen cupboards hung on it.

On tile backing board... When I redid our bathroom, I nearly bought some cement based board, probably Aquapanel, IIRC.
But fortunately I found Marmox board in stock in the tile shop. It's much better - closed cell foam with a glassfibre reinforced cement coating. It's strong, doesn't soak up water, and most importantly it's really light weight and easy to handle.

http://marmoxboard.com/en/marmox_board_ ... ction.html

I stripped a shower room back to the studwork, even took the floor up.

I put back ordinary plaster board on the walls, but the one with foil backing on one side.
Then I fitted the plastic panels that are like T&G boards, about 6" wide and hollow walled for insualtion. With a marble effect on the good side.
went round all four walls, just using no more nails to hold it to the plasterboard, and a very thin line of silicone in each groove, then tapped fully home.
It looked superb, it was warm to the touch even in the coldest winter, and could be cleaned just with a damp cloth and non scratch cleaner. Sold the house 10 years on and it still looked good as new.

no down side at all.

Back