Oilstone boxes.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MJP

Established Member
Reaction score
I've bought a few old oilstones lately, mostly boxed.

And there seems to be a common design to many, as if they are copying a pattern.

Were any oilstones ever sold new in wooden boxes or are all these boxes home-made?

Martin.

Ironically, once stones were standardise at 8x2 rectlinear, you could buy them cased
as an option. In the earlier time of only one cut face, you had to make
your own.

BugBear

Thanks Bugbear - that explains why there appears to be almost a standard shape for these boxes.

Martin.

MJP":3t06g629 said:
Thanks Bugbear - that explains why there appears to be almost a standard shape for these boxes.

Martin.

Oh no, most of them were home made, and it's the strength of tradition that
makes them so similar.

But some were factory made.

BugBear

My son is a 20 year carpenter, I'm a 3 year amateur, so as a joke I made him a rosewood oil stone box just like my dad used to own 60 years ago.

oilstonebox.jpg

oilbox2.jpg

Attachments

• oilstonebox.jpg
    oilstonebox.jpg
    246.8 KB · Views: 211
  • oilbox2.jpg
    oilbox2.jpg
    222 KB · Views: 211
Nice job, Sunnybob.

I've seen a few old boxes hinged like that, though it strikes me as being a tad delicate.

Lovely gift though.

Martin.

I'm never certain of woodworking classifications, but my dad made furniture as a hobby (carpenter? joiner? cabinet maker???)

I used to help him when I was quite young (late 1950's) and he had an oil stone box exactly this shape. i recall it was very dark wood, but that may have just been through 40 years of use. Its ironic that I turned my back on woodworking as soon as I discovered motorcycles, and spent over 50 years working in metal (hobby and occupation), only coming back to wood when I retired and couldnt ride bikes any more.

I made this box entirely on the router table, even to cutting the rebate for the hinge.

An oil stone box was one of the first things that I had to make when I was doing my apprenticeship at college. It was out of a scrap bit of mahogany I think(shows how long ago that was). Still have it now and take a lot of joy from the fact that that it has lasted as long as me (and has aged better).

MJP":27tshwvy said:
I've seen a few old boxes hinged like that, though it strikes me as being a tad delicate.
It also doubles the length of space you need to use it; a simple removable lid seem more practical.

BugBear

But reduces the chance of losing the lid, or the stone falling out in your tool bag.

Pete

Still got my original box from 44 years ago in the days when the first few months of your apprenticeship amounted to sanding components prior to glueing and sweeping floors and making stuff for yourself that you would need in your future, ( a cut off panel pin on each corner of the bottom of the box stops it sliding when in use).

Still got the one i made as an apprentice. The wood i used was a chock that came on the bottom of a pack of far eastern ply. Also made a rudimentary mallet with the same stuff. It's really dark and hard as iron. Looks a bit like teak but no idea if it is.

It may just be that I have more stones than I really need (but I can never resist a quid-or-less high quality stone).

I'd forgotten I had this :oops: ; planed out of pine, centre bit marks in the lid all present and correct, side bead on the join. Classic.
stone_case.jpg

BugBear

Attachments

• stone_case.jpg
    stone_case.jpg
    241.1 KB · Views: 16
Back