What to do with broken bandsaw blades?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rxh

Established Member
Reaction score
Make a rasp :)

Attachments

• IMG_5279C.jpg
    IMG_5279C.jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 1,161
  • IMG_5278C.jpg
    IMG_5278C.jpg
    224.6 KB · Views: 1,161
  • IMG_5277C.jpg
    IMG_5277C.jpg
    218.6 KB · Views: 1,161
  • IMG_5276C.jpg
    IMG_5276C.jpg
    253.5 KB · Views: 1,161
  • IMG_5275C.jpg
    IMG_5275C.jpg
    240.2 KB · Views: 1,161
Nice! I bet that's aggressive as hell.

Want to outline the procedure or is it obvious to anyone with a bit of welding experience?

Thanks. Yes it is aggressive :wink:

No welding involved, only rivetting. I clamped the pieces of blade together as a sandwich, drilled holes through, inserted panel pins and snipped them off about 1/16" oversize and then peined them against an anvil.

That's clever!
How did you know I have some broken bandsaw blades waiting to come in useful? :)

Thanks Andy. Do give it a go.

Someone has suggested to me that every other piece of blade could be reversed so as to make a rasp that will cut on the pull as well as the push. I might give that a try next time I break a blade .....

rxh":248fa23f said:

Someone has suggested to me that every other piece of blade could be reversed so as to make a rasp that will cut on the pull as well as the push. I might give that a try next time I break a blade .....

I wonder if it would clog more easily?

rxh":2uf49qpq said:

I did that a few years ago and worked ok but then made a two sided one, pull one side, push the other. Was quite thick and I epoxied the blades together then rivets, I also ground a couple of grooves around it and bound with wire.

Was supposed to be a prototype but worked so well I never got around to making a prettier one, still have it somewhere!

Bob

I am wondering if bandsaw blade is easier to drill than I imagine from a little experience making bowsaw blades, or if you have a technique for it. If the latter, I'd really like to know it.

Tony, what I did was as follows:
- using a sharp centre punch I struck a small "dimple" on one of the pieces of bandsaw at each point where a hole was to be drilled,
- I made up the "sandwich" of blade pieces with the punch-marked piece on top and clamped it together using a small G-cramp at each end,
- I held this assembly between pieces of wood in a drill vice,
- then I drilled the holes right through the sandwich using a drill press with a new twist drill bit lubricated with a liittle 3-in-one oil.

Like a homemade japanese saw rasp. I love mine, really great for fast stock removal and leaves a surprisingly smooth finish.

rxh":hnmjfcdh said:
Tony, what I did was as follows:
- using a sharp centre punch I struck a small "dimple" on one of the pieces of bandsaw at each point where a hole was to be drilled,
- I made up the "sandwich" of blade pieces with the punch-marked piece on top and clamped it together using a small G-cramp at each end,
- I held this assembly between pieces of wood in a drill vice,
- then I drilled the holes right through the sandwich using a drill press with a new twist drill bit lubricated with a liittle 3-in-one oil.

I had expected it to be harder than that. Drilling regular saw plate was quite challenging. Which is strange as it files easily.
Perhaps the new drill is the key. We have a lot of drills on the shelf, all old and most of them pre-ruined !

Now isn't that clever, and I immediately thought of a jap saw rasp just as Rorschach said. Sadly don't have a bandsaw, but I do have a collection of used jack saws I've been keeping to make scrapers from - now I know what to do with the sharp bits other than toothed dogs.

I'm guessing the offset positioning of the tips is to make sure there are no valleys to snag narrow edges on?

Thanks rafezetter. Yes, I staggered the teeth to try and get a smooth cut.

Thanks Peter. I also use them for my bow saw:

Attachments

• IMG_2365C.jpg
    IMG_2365C.jpg
    253.5 KB · Views: 246
Back