Courier Services Recommended?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pink Freud

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm in a bit of a quandary, as i have been offered a good deal on a table saw some miles away. but i have no means to pick it up myself. If anyone here has any advice on these types of couriers - The Good The bad & The Ugly - i would be most grateful.

I bought a Jet JBOS-5 spindle sander, which weighs about 82 pounds, from member here. I contacted Mailboxes Etc. in Manchester and had it picked up at the seller's house and shipped to my German residence. The total cost was £124, but this included the international shipping and insurance for the purchase amount. The cost of the JBOS-5, with all of the accessories, and shipping was still much less than I could buy the same spindle sander here.

These people are reasonable,

https://www.nationalpallets.co.uk

Ive not actually used myself, but I think some forum useds here have, so you may get sone feedback.

Probably it depends on how well palletised the seller is prepared to do. The best way is to bolt it to the pallet and box the saw in mdf. Pallet wrap, if it goes through the underside of the pallet can be very strong, certainly any loose bits need to be very well fixed and cast parts like tops need impact protection at corners as well as across the top with a sheet of mdf.

Just remember a pallet haulier will involve more than one forklift on and off, its not a courier service, but may go via a distribution hub

food for thought, cheers :wink:

I think i would like to avoid pallet situations then. All that on / off through hubs might be quite risky.
Besides i don't think the seller is equipped to sort it on a pallet.

garethharvey":3kg129d9 said:
Be use these guys, not the cheapest but they are very reliable: http://www.silversprint.co.uk

Used then to ship a vintage organ from South Wales to Norfolk, then back again

Nice one. much appreciated :wink:
They do offer a direct same day service so I'll give em a call tomorrow.

Thanks again guys, I couldn't get through to silver sprint so will try again soon. Spoke to Carly from Anyvan and she told me that if i emailed her the postcodes / dimensions / weight, then she could find me the best quote on a direct "same day" service. So that sounds promising :)

UPDATE: Got through to silver sprint and after giving them them the relevant details was offered the dedicated service at £220 something, nearly fell off my chair :shock: ...or the economy service at £66 + VAT. Might have to rethink my strategy. What i need is a member here who travels a bit and is hopefully traveling close enough en route to make a detour pickup. I can offer fuel costs, a meal (bbq if it's nice) and a pack of beers (to take home of course). would i be ok advertising this in the wanted section?

You could also try Steve Cox on 07836 736496 or email [email protected] He calls himself Landylift and advertises on the Homeworkshop Site.

He specializes in moving machinery. I have used him once and found him excellent. Not the cheapest but it was a complete service. He removed the machine, loaded it, delivered it to me and positioned it in the workshop.

James

I've used Anyvan in the past to have a mitre saw and a large motor delivered. I think it cost around £40 from Leicester to Bristol. Also some furniture (couple of large display units) from East Anglia was about £70 I think.

It is a bit of luck of the draw, as if you're lucky you'll get a guy with space in his van who's heading your way anyway and he'll do it cheap. If you have to book a dedicated courier, it works out a lot more expensive. I find it's best to put your details on the website or app and wait a few days for the quotes to come in.

parcel2go.com is also worth a look as it compares all the couriers for the best price. You might need to get the seller to package up the item though, as some couriers won't take things unless they're properly packaged.

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss palletised service. We've recently had no end of goods on pallets ranging from glass shower screens to sanitary ware and floor tiles. No breakages at all.

You don't say how far away you are but regardless if it is a dedicated 'man and a van type scenario then the quotes you've been getting aren't that far off the mark IME. You're paying for the blokes day rate plus cost of diesel etc. You might strike lucky and get someone doing a return trip ..lucky being the operative word.

RogerS":3k7dqiui said:
I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss palletised service. We've recently had no end of goods on pallets ranging from glass shower screens to sanitary ware and floor tiles. No breakages at all.

You don't say how far away you are but regardless if it is a dedicated 'man and a van type scenario then the quotes you've been getting aren't that far off the mark IME. You're paying for the blokes day rate plus cost of diesel etc. You might strike lucky and get someone doing a return trip ..lucky being the operative word.
Apologies for sounding dismissive of the pallet situation, but the chap who has the saw is in Cardiff, and unfortunately not equipped to deal with that type of pickup. I think he would be happier if i could pick it up myself. Also he does have someone coming to view it locally and so this buy may well fall through :cry:

I will keep searching for a decent table saw, and hopefully find a bit of luck. Thanks again, for all your help. It is very much appreciated :wink:

Back