Which wood rasp

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrPhill

Cyber Heretic
Reaction score
I am shaping down a hardwood branch to make a carved stick. I have done the initial reduction with a sureform. It is quick but leaves a marked surface. I am thinking about what to use for the next phase. I tried sandpaper, and it is too gentle to remove the marks left by the sureform. I tried a turnip file but that still did not have enough 'bite'.

I think that what I need is a wood rasp (or two.....) to do finer shaping. Something finer than a sureform, coarser than a turnip file. I have tried a couple of no-name rasps that were lurking in the toolbox, but they are little more than nobbly metal - tearing rather than cutting, and the nobbles are more widely spaced than needed. These will likely be discarded.

Does anybody here have recommendations? I need a curved blade (for concave surfaces) and possibly a flat blade. Something that will take off a reasonable amount of material leaving a better surface.

Thanks for any help given

Phill

NazNomad":3m2w3ofh said:
Spokeshave or drawknife?
That's a thought. I have a drawknife (flexicut) which I have used on other projects. I think that this wood will be too hard and it may not work well on the inside bends..... still, no harm giving it a try.

Phill

The drawknife does leave a smoother surface, but I seem to be tearing the wood quite often. It is a knotty piece, and I am working mostly parallel with the grain so it is a bit too easy to tear. It is also quite a twisty piece and the two-handed nature of the drawknife means that I have to clamp the workpiece by sitting on it. I can cope with the discomfort, but some parts of the stick will not be easily worked that way.

So thanks for the idea, but it does not quite work for me on this job.

xy mosian":2ur0w9l4 said:
I have been very impressed with the two MicroPlane rasps that I have. An upmarket Surform in my view.
http://www.axminster.co.uk/microplane-h ... s-ax830559
Other suppliers are about.
xy

Thanks Mosian - I had noticed those and was tempted, but wondered if they were worth the money.... your endorsement is appreciated. How coarse are they? How long do they stay sharp? I have never blunted a sureform blade - but I have snapped a few. How robust are the microplanes?

Hi DrPhill
The MicroPlanes seem to be fairly robust, at least I haven't blunted or broken one yet. Tesco offer various MicroPlane gizmos in the online kitchen department, whether there are any in the larger stores I don't know, but it may be worth looking.
As for grade/coarseness, I would put them coarser than my Hand Stitched European rasp. But a smoother finish than 40 or 60 grit paper, which I normally refer to as Bronco. Of coarse it is best to rotate the direction of push slightly between strokes to avoid grooves.
With reference to the kitchen mentioned above they are great for getting a finely grated cheese if all else fails.

xy

Thanks, Mosian.

I have risked ordering one - round-handled, long - to try. The finish sounds good; I am sure sure it will be very useful at some stage of shaping. I will need to find out if it fits this stage of shaping.

Hi SunnyBob, sandpaper is my usual next step (after the surform), but this time seemed to be very slow. It could be the cheap sandpaper (better stuff on order) or it could be the hardness/knottiness of the wood.

I still need to remove some volume from the piece, so sandpaper could be wasteful. Also, when I am sanding I seem to follow the existing shape rather than alter the shape the way I want.

Phill

sunnybob":3ojfh3f1 said:
You didnt buy the brand that starts with "S" did you? please say no.

S*****L*** ? If so I have some of their stuff and it works.... this sandpaper was worse. It came from our only source on a saturday pm (Hint: well known store with only one price label) but it was "recommended by Tommy Walsh". Watch out for that name.

phil.p":38lw044n said:

Interesting ideas Phil. I have a bench grinder somewhere. I will search it out.... I can get a flap-wheel for a drill, neh? Do they last well? I could imagine the bench version being easier, but there might be awkward access to parts of this project. I am collecting ideas.

The shaping disc looks like fun too. I just knew that there would be more solutions than I had heard of. I tend towards simpler hand tools for preference, but I am not averse to using electrical tools.

DrPhill":233deeo7 said:
Does anybody here have recommendations? I need a curved blade (for concave surfaces) and possibly a flat blade. Something that will take off a reasonable amount of material leaving a better surface.

Thanks for any help given

Phill

From memory, there's a French brand which is hand made, lovely, and VERY expensive, a Portugese brand which is similar but cheaper, and there are some Chinese rasps (bought from Germany) which are better than they have any right to be.

I'm sure there have been a couple of threads on the subject.

BugBear

A good quality hand stitched rasp from Aurio, Liogier, Workshop Heaven.
They cut so fast and leave a very good finish.

Rod

Just looked at Lioger and Auriou rasps. Nice. Expensive. Workshop Heaven are sold out of their own ones that I would want. Tool acquisition disorder is rearing its ugly head.....

Back