A beginner woodworker with a very beginner problem

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leechild

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm looking to start in woodworking and am struggling with the most basic of things. what type of bench to buy!

I'd like to start using hand tools, but later have the option to buy some power tools (circular saw, router).

I have a bench in my garage, but wondered if i should just buy a black and decker style workmate bench that would work for holding the small pieces of wood for the handtools, but also allow me to cut slightly bigger pieces.

i'm just looking to make small pieces such as side tables, shelves, coffee tables.

any advice would be really helpful.

i will try not to then start about which vice and which brand of handtools to buy!! that post comes next :)

^^^^^ Plenty of bench builds here, don't buy a Workmate and expect serious work from it, handy as they are. Your intended usage is not very heavy, so beware plans that insist on massive timbers, and if you can fix it to wall you can go a bit lighter again. Get something up and running first, your second bench will be better for you. For you ... got it? You don't need to suit someone else.

There is a fair bit of merit in making your first project the very bench you then use......it doesn't have to be complex but it does start you on the journey with the right orientation of mind if that makes any sense :)

Welcome to the forum also and don't be shy in asking what you might think are silly questions because that's where we all were once.

You already have a bench... get a good vice and youre up and running.
pretty soon it will become clear where you need to improve things. Dont plan too much, youll never get it right first time.

Thank you so much for all the responses so quickly. Great to see this is an active board. Will take your advice on the bench rather than the workmate. Hopefully looking to buy my first tools this weekend!

leechild":3iliimv5 said:
Hopefully looking to buy my first tools this weekend!
Which tools are you thinking of? You might find posting details here could save you a few bob and result in better buys all round.

[ETA] ahh.. just spotted your other thread on hand tools.

As another beginner. Welcome.
My few bits of one beginner to another beginner 'advice'.
Buy a decent square early. Pay more than you think it's worth. Mark don't measure. Single most important thing I have learned. Kinex are good.
What you think you will be making in a years time is not what you'll be making.
Don't spend money on fancy pants tools. Learn how to use a few cheap tools that work. Learn how to make them work. When you get to the stage you thought you needed them you probably won't.
Sharp is everything. Sharp tools will make you love messing about with wood. Dull tools will frustrate you beyond belief. But don't get caught up in sharpening debates. Buy one system and stick with it. Its not mystique just find what gets the job done.
After you've ignored all that and found it out for yourself...

....Don't forget to save some money to buy some actual wood to make summat out of! Good luck.

"What you think you will be making in a years time is not what you'll be making."

I really like that statement, it sums up most hobbies.
Strange thing is i bucked the trend, got into woodwork because i wanted to make bandsaw boxes. had a couple side trips into garden furniture, but basically I'm still making (ever more complicated) bandsaw boxes. But dont mind me, I've always been a rebel.

My first bench was an offcut of chipboard worktop. I supported it on short ends of studding (from skips) screwed together. Workholding was by g-cramps.
It was good enough for plenty of projects, including mortising and planing, until I moved house and replaced it.
So as above, there's no need to spend a lot on materials or cut joints.

my bench is made from 2 4ftx2ft pieces of mdf one top and one bottom, with a basic frame of 30mm x 30mm softwood glued and brad nailed together no fancy joints, and the only screws that were used was to fix the mdf to the frame, it's also on 4" castors to move it about,

Way back when, i made a bench top of about 6 pieces of construction pine. It was planed, and I just stuck them together with ordinary wood glue. Screwed some battens to the wall and there ya go. 6 ft x 2 ft x 2" bench. That lasted through two moves, and I finally gave it away when i emigrated. simple really is best ya know.

Back