Got Wood, What Wood?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pink Freud

Established Member
Reaction score
Just Joined so Big Hi :D Should have done it ages ago :roll:

I'm hoping to restore an old "cast end" bench that we picked up on ebay.
Trouble is, i'm not sure what species i'm dealing with. I've attached some photos
of some of the original pieces, which hopefully, someone here may help identify.
I do believe it is a hardwood, but that's as far as i know.

Attachments

• 20170625_162541.jpg
    20170625_162541.jpg
    210.5 KB · Views: 369
  • 20170625_163445.jpg
    20170625_163445.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 369
  • 20170625_163153.jpg
    20170625_163153.jpg
    250.6 KB · Views: 369
Hard to make out the colour. As said could be ash but if its a bit more orange it may be sweet chestnut

It doesn't look orangy to me, but it does have a slight red tint. Prob not that helpful sorry.

You say it's cast end bench. Has it been outside in the elements? It could be teak!

It does look similar to Sweet Chestnut (as mentioned above) but I don't think it's quite there. if it's quite a recently made bit of cast, the most likely candidate will be some of the Acacia or Robinia species now being used across Europe and Asia as plantation hardwood for outdoor furniture. Good stuff, but not very well regarded in this country and not really available by name.

It certainly looks like it has lived out in the elements for some time. Anyways, i'll get back to you with some photos of the bench after this dreadful rain has abated.

Back with some photos of our bench. Although it's hard to tell the wood inserts in the back rest do have a slight chamfer. Would i be correct in thinking that these were cut on a scroll saw with either a tilting blade or table? being able to reproduce these kinda really appeals to me :D

Attachments

• 20170630_164342.jpg
    20170630_164342.jpg
    253.7 KB · Views: 112
  • 20170630_170713.jpg
    20170630_170713.jpg
    237.2 KB · Views: 112
I will stick with teak. If the slats have not rotted outside clearly not ash

Beau":g6w40rjz said:
I'm afraid the seat slats have indeed rotted, to the point of crispy duck.

Does this mean it could be American white ash? ...can teak be that white?

Pink Freud":3upocpr4 said:
Beau":3upocpr4 said:
I'm afraid the seat slats have indeed rotted, to the point of crispy duck.

Does this mean it could be American white ash? ...can teak be that white?

If they are white I don't think it can be. I couldn't make out from your first pictures if the wood was white or it was just taken in bright light and a darker wood. Very odd choice of wood to use ash for an outside bench unless it was never intended to be used outside. Teak can be quite light but never seen it white unless bleached but the sun but that would have come off with you sanding it. The lightest I have seen teak is a pale beach sand colour.

Must admit I am confused with you pictures and descriptions.

In you opening post you say you want to restore the bench but the slats look like they have been removed and sanded with no sign of rot. Also the first pictures there is a rail with a curve but then in the picture of the whole bench I cant see any place for a curved rail.

Just trying to clarify to help with ID.
Robin is probably right as he clearly know his stuff just ash is an odd choice for an outside bench.

Sorry for the confusion Beau, the 2 pieces in the 1st photo are fixed horizontally to the top and bottom of the cast back rest. there are also 2 short pieces running vertically on either side of the back rest, creating a framed look. if you look at pic 5 you might be able to see the green zip ties i used to hold the back rest so that it can be viewed in situ' :roll:

The only original bits that are reusable are the top and bottom back rest pieces. all the rest are several degrees of crispy duck :(

Latest posts

Back