Best book on making double glazed windows.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matmac

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,
Struggling to find a decent book on window construction. My plan is to buy sealed double glazing units. I just want to know best way to go about all of it.
Cheers guys

I don't think there really is one about modern windows. There are the historical ones (Lost Art Press Door and Window Making, McKay, Ellis) but while they give you a good idea of how these things used to be made the sections are wrong for DG units.

The tooling manufacturers have developed designs which they have had tested for Building Regs compliance and sell complete (and expensive) sets of tooling to make them which would only be worth buying if going into regular commercial production. However, if you look at the brochures for Whitehill Window systems and the Trend Modular window system you will probably find enough information and section drawings to get you going. If you actually wanted the certs to get you through building regs you'd need to buy the tooling though!

Hope this helps

Mike

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

+1 I'm not aware of any book giving adequate coverage to this subject, which in any case is subject to regular change.
Tooling manufacturers all seem to have devised their own, regulation compliant systems; but way too expensive for small scale production and tend to require a top of the range spindle moulder to run them. On the other hand, many window and tooling manufacturers issue brochures showing cross sections and some times explaining why things are thus. These of course are a useful reference source to assist you in designing profiles suited to your own tooling and abilities.

If you search on the forum, you will find several posts and threads that will give you an idea of whats involved.

Wood Windows: Designing for High Performance by Patrick Hislop

This is a good reference guide, aimed at architects. Mine is from 2009 though - I have no idea if it has been updated since then. It is quite pricey at about £40 I think.

+1 for Hislop.
It used to be free from the TRADA site, but now they have realised the value of it. Even at £40, it is worth every penny.

Back