Small Box

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dalboy

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been working on this in between doing other bits today that is after the one where the lid decided to do the splits.

Made from London plane with a Laburnum insert in the lid it stands 2 3/4" X 2 1/4". Still need to make 4 more well there is always tomorrow.

This is the longest I have played in the shed for a long time.

DSCF7391_zpsiwo3m5v1.jpg

DSCF7389_zpsldzy5kwm.jpg

That's lovely. Love the contrast.
Funny enough I was planing some of that today for the first time for a (very) small box. I thought for a minute I had a tiny nick in the blade because I kept getting these lines that looked like minute score marks running at different patterns to the general and quite distinct grain patterning. Took me a moment to realise it was part of how the wood was formed structurally. Would you use a sealer of some sort before finishing on that Dal? It's not like any wood I've worked with before in its 'layering' if you know what I mean, Hope you don't mind the question.
Cheers
Chris

Letting the 'wood doing the talking' again, even if it's being obnoxious and answering back at times.

Great close figuring to match the size proportions.

Bm101":19r5nytp said:
That's lovely. Love the contrast.
Funny enough I was planing some of that today for the first time for a (very) small box. I thought for a minute I had a tiny nick in the blade because I kept getting these lines that looked like minute score marks running at different patterns to the general and quite distinct grain patterning. Took me a moment to realise it was part of how the wood was formed structurally. Would you use a sealer of some sort before finishing on that Dal? It's not like any wood I've worked with before in its 'layering' if you know what I mean, Hope you don't mind the question.
Cheers
Chris
Thank you Chris. Yes I use a thinned down sander sealer then buff with canuba wax. I did make another one before this but the lid split so may make a contrasting coloured lid for that one and also have at least 6 more rough turned blanks as this was from green wood early last year so tomorrow should bring some more but not all of the blanks I have ready. I will be doing some more with inserts

CHJ":34p9wi6c said:
Letting the wood doing the talking again, even if it's being obnoxious and answering back at times.

Great close figuring to match the size proportions.

Thank you Chas.

Was not sure whether to put the pith of the insert in the centre or as I had done slightly to one side, glad I went this way.

Back