Table saw choice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Craious Connor

Reaction score
Hi there everyone.

In short, need a table saw. SIP 01332 10" Cast Iron Table Saw or xcaliber 10" Cabinet Saw 3HP Ref: 8060101 from Woodfords.

In Long:
I've made stuff all my life, models from scratch & kits as a nipper, used to be a site carpenter then joiner & went on to restore antiques as S/E. I had a Scheppach TS82 I think it was & hated the thing, aluminium with sliding gear. Then went on to work as a prop maker.
Became very ill & was given a window to complete my bucket list in. Sold all my kit - everything - chisels, saws, planes, machines, strops & stones, the lot so that my wife wouldn't have to deal with it after I went wandering around hell.
Anyway, being very very passed my sign off time by years I find myself very very bored & frustrated as I need (with a capital N) to make stuff, it makes me happy & fulfilled which I believe many of you can relate to.
I've started building up my collection of kit again (doh!) & am now looking at a table saw, mainly furniture as a hobby & supplemental income to my part time work. I cannot manage full time now as I'm a little weaker than I used to be after all the treatment.
Trouble is I am having such a hard time deciding which to go for. I think my brain must be a little addled from the medications!!! Initially I was going to go for a £500 contractors saw, dewalt, bosch, but was worried about accuracy, then found the Xcaliber 8020101 but thought it slightly underpowered but nice. Looked at the Axminster Trade Series AW10BSB2 but there's something about it that makes me feel it's not right!
I then found the two I mentioned at the start.
My shed is 5m by 3.5m in my medium sized garden about 10m from nearest neighbour (thinking noise here) I intend to kit it out with a small bandsaw, contractors planer such as the dewalt and a small jointer made from a powered hand planer. I've already sorted the dust extraction by making a cyclone extractor & am in the process of building a full face positive pressure mask.

So my learned friends of much wisdom. I've heard so much good stuff about both cabinet saws & they're more or less the same price, SIP or Xcaliber and would the smaller xcaliber £500 job be a good choice choice?

If someone could just make the decision for me that would be great! Many thanks.

I can't post links so these are the titles from the webpages.
Small xcaliber - 10" Tilting Table Saw Ref: 8020101
Larger xcaliber - 10" Cabinet Saw 3HP 1Phase Ref: 8060101
larger SIP - SIP 01332 10" Cast Iron Table Saw
Possibly Axminster - Axminster Trade Series AW10BSB2 Saw Bench

I can't help you with your choice but there is a good review of the itech saw just above your post that should help you.

Also consider the Scheppach Precsia 3.0 in this price range - micro adjusting fence is excellent. Side table folds away and is fairly compact when you do that. The table also has a kind of rust proofing protection as well. I had a go at a trade show and I was very impressed, it is basically a rebadged Kity.

https://youtu.be/H6AluEJzGHg

The Jet JTS 600 is also worth a look.

Having just installed the 3HP Harvey/Xcalibur 10" from Woodford's two weeks ago, I can only say that I'm extremely happy with its performance and would recommend it to anyone looking for this type of saw. It will even accept an 8" dado stack if that's your thing. It has more than enough power to cope with sawing ash for furniture I'm making.

I've just mounted my Festool CMS-OF router insert with OF2200 router in an extension wing that I've made (replaces the bit that isn't cast iron). It's a real space saver as I've been able to get rid of my Festool CMS tables. I can also still use the saw when the router is set up as the CMS-OF has its own fence so does not tie up the saw's rip fence. Obviously, if you make your own table extension you can mount any router you like, I just like the Festool setup.

I took early retirement at the end of 2015 and started to kit out my 5m x 5m garage as a woodshop. It's a pity you don't live closer as you would be welcome to try out my Xcalibur.

Meanwhile, take a look here - http://www.grizzly.com/products/10-3HP- ... nife/G0690 - it's the same saw but there is a lot more information (manuals, videos, pictures, etc) which may help.

Back