What are these for? mystery items that come with the lathe

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homerjh

Established Member
Reaction score
sorry guys, last one!

So first, believe this is a pen mandrel, and assume the item at the end is used to keep it secure. i have looked around and cant see one like it anywhere but as there were some pen blanks, assume this is what it is for.
z7lLl91.jpg

WYd6E2f.jpg

Second, a smaller rest, a bowl rest and dont know what the plastic thing is for, anyone recognize it?

R7yg2e5.jpg

Y8RRTS0.jpg

and lastly the tools :

1 is parting tool, 2 is bowl gauge, 3 is roughing gauge and 3 is well used!
9kc7F8L.jpg

and these are really small compared to the others, so don't know if they are usable ?
so 3 shaping tools and a small parting tool?
VUP1f4s.jpg

rF4pwHx.jpg

The second one in looks like an auger because of the square shank. The third and fourth don't look like turning tools to me, and I'd say the first certainly isn't.
Your gouges? No.3 isn't a roughing gouge, it a large bowl gouge.
I don't know what you paid for the lathe, but including the chuck you got a few quid's worth of extras.

I'd agree with Phil and say tool no3 is a bowl gouge, but from this angle the grind profile is wrong and you should probably avoid using it. Give us a pic or two of the profile and we can take it from there.

turning tools in 1st pic left is possibly a henry taylor parting tool 2nd is a crown thin finger nail gouge that has had the handle cut down 3rd again is possibly a crown bowl gouge which has
been ground wrongly 4 looks like it is home made. As for the other pics they are nothing to do with turning most are spoon bits for use in a brace.
hope this helps

Here is my take on the photo's

The first does look like it has been used for pen turning but to be honest if you deside to turn pens buy a new on with a revolving pen saver.
The second are certainly tools rests the first is a standard the second is for use on bowls but to me looks a bit flimsy so I would not use it.
The third are certainly turning tools from left to right Parting tool, spindle gouge, bowl gouge and the last looks like a well used spindle gouge. I would consider making a new handle for the first spindle gouge and the last stick in a draw until you find a use for a very short tool.
And finally the last tools I would again stick in a draw and find a use for them later but do not use for turning.

the smaller tools are going into the 'special' place for tools that have no use.

and yes I beleive i got a decent deal for £100 :

Nova Chuck, Drill thingy for the tail stock, some blanks for pens (i think, seem quite thin though), pen mandrel, some calipers and micrometers, some (5) pewter tops for potpourri turnings, and a handful of odds like drill bits/screwdrivers. Also the bowl turning rest and shorter rest, and everything cleaned up nicely, just need to clean the chuck as i expect it will look almost new.

Also a few lengths of hardwood and the tool as mentioned. They were all bought not long ago from someone selling a deceased relatives tools, and then found he was moving to somewhere himself with no space, and then i bought them.

so yes, i think i got a good deal :)

And looking at pics the roughing gauge has a far larger cross section so it looks like a bowl gouge, so need to read up on what the 2 i have are for. it did seem to round off the wood ok, but probably not the best method.

Some more shots of the 2 tools.

8Oz2nvO.jpg

m3xQi61.jpg

DBpypQB.jpg

EkXcHZr.jpg

fj8gKRy.jpg

In the first 2 pictures the piece with the 3 knotches standing above the brass tubes on the home made pen mandrel is a router collet adaptor to use smaller bits in a bigger router. 1/2" to 1/4" or 12mm to 6mm or whatever the metric sizes would be in your neck of the woods.

Pete

I agree with Dalboy's post.
The large bowl gouge has a conventional grind. Nothing wrong with it, just keep the points away from the wood. I have one similar for going round the tight curve in the bottom of a bowl.
The smaller gouge has a long blade & a short handle so don't let it overhang the tool rest by too much ie keep the tool rest close to the work.
Homer - try & find someone with a bit of knowledge, at your local wood turning club possibly, & they should answer all your questions & put you on the right track.

Latest posts

Back