Painting over render

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

No skills

Established Member
Reaction score
Greetings all.

I've just cement rendered over some dense blocks (about 1/4" worth of render), how long before I can paint over it? - when it 'looks' dry or a day or two after that?

Stupid question I know, but it's not something I've done before :D

Day or two, or longer, after it looks dry. Has to breathe for a wee while until it's dry through along with the moisture wicked into the block work..

What did you use as the cement render mix?
I've rebuilt my BBQ (which was regular brick) with blockwork, and rendered the inside with wickes sharp sand and some blue circle cement + about 50 grams of chopped strand mat glass cut up. This went on ok for my first attempt at render but now have to do the outside of the blocks and just wondering if what I did on the indside would be ok for the outside (maybe without the glass though)

Building sand and cement plus a bit of plasticiser to make it useable, it was really hot the day I did it so I kept the blocks a bit damp as I was applying the render.

No skills":ks5b80oi said:
Building sand and cement plus a bit of plasticiser to make it useable, it was really hot the day I did it so I kept the blocks a bit damp as I was applying the render.

Perfect, good sense with the water. Have seen a few rendering jobs done too quickly straight onto dry block on a very hot day. Dried too quickly and the usual happened- cracks. Water also helps adhesion. As well as making the render usuable the plasterciser also makes it globby (sticky) as well.

No idea what you're on about Phil. But no worries.

Partly because I derailed the thread with my ask of how the render mix was done :lol: my bad

Back