Sharpening/grinding firmer or paring gouges

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LuptonM

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently acquired an old former gouge. I've had a go at restoring the edge but have come accross a problem I can't seem to solve.

Initially when grinding the gouge back to shape I couldn't get it square as the edge would just fall apart/horrifically chip. I then found out I could be overgrindjng it so squared it up using a diamond stone at 90 degrees to the cutting edge. From there I was really careful to grind it back on a wet grinder just before a wire edge was created. I then switched to rolling the edge side to side on a stone like Paul seller demonstrates on his sharpening video. thinlkng everything was ok, I tried the chisel on a piece of wood (paring) and it fell apart/chipped away.

What am I doing wrong here?

Ground and honed at too low an angle or the steel has been overheated ("blued"). Try tipping the gouge up on the stone and putting on a bevel five or so degrees higher than the primary and see what happens. You need to work the inside flat with a slip or some very fine sandpaper wrapped around a dowel. These grind and hone just like a roughing gouge for turning.

Latest posts

Back