Outdoor timber

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrahamIreland

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, there is a restaurant that I am doing a seating booth for in wood and metal.
They also have a larger project where a till, and service area is being designed.

They asked if metal would work well in the design, but to be honest I think a wooden structure would be nice.
Metal - even if powder coated, I believe will rust eventually.

So was wondering what lifespan there is on woods like cedar, etc used for panelling, and do painted wooden structures last long enough outdoors,

Graham

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-05-22 at 20.41.27.png
    Screen Shot 2017-05-22 at 20.41.27.png
    91.7 KB · Views: 882
Painted wooden structures will need looking after and could look shabby quite quickly, all depending on how exposed it is.

External joinery for example will last a long time if designed carefully to allow water to run off quickly and with 3mm radius's on all edges etc etc.

timber left natural can look nice but is best if you can finish with Sioo to make it go grey quickly and avoid water staining.

lifespan on timber, maybe 25-30 years for oak, iroko, cedar. Accoya of course is good for 50 years

Thanks Robin,
Iroko painted/stained might work so?

Unless they want me to make the frame for them in metal and powder coat, that might work too.

Anyway thanks for info.

Back