woodworking machine

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amirkhan

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I am a novice woodworker and doing it regularly as my hobby for the last few years. i am keen to have router a good and reasonable table saw and also planer thicknesser. I have limited space i.e. my single garage. Would you advice me to buy a combination machine and if so which one would you recommend that is small enough yet powerful to do all the routine jobs such as creating windows doors etc. I am open minded and would be grateful for your advice.

Cheers

The four or five-in-one machines require a lot of space around them, so probably not the best solution for a single garage.
The planer/ thicknesser combo is OK in that sense, but not everyone likes them.
Personally, I'd go for individual machines.

HTH

I have a Kity Bestcombi 2000 in a single garage and it works well, it's on wheels because I need to pull it out to use the planer/thicknesser.

The only drawback with combination machines is you need to machine all you components in one go, it's difficult if you need to swap between functions, it does teach you to work logically.

Pete

I would get separates.

A second hand elektra beckum / metabo 260 planer thicknesser is a great compact machine.

I have a planer/thicknesser, table saw,and a full size router table and a large bandsaw all on wheels and it all fits in my 8x12 shed !

dzj":noklz23o said:
The four or five-in-one machines require a lot of space around them, so probably not the best solution for a single garage.
The planer/ thicknesser combo is OK in that sense, but not everyone likes them.
Personally, I'd go for individual machines.

HTH

Everyone keeps coming out with that old chestnut but I don't see why this is necessarily the case. Sure, take a massive Felder wight hat huge siding arm for cutting 8x4 sheets and yes, it does need the space. But not all do.

I've done the 'wheelie-bin' bit but got fed up with the lack of stability. Nothing beats a good machine sitting on concrete ...

RogerS":1pypekog said:
Everyone keeps coming out with that old chestnut but I don't see why this is necessarily the case. Sure, take a massive Felder wight hat huge siding arm for cutting 8x4 sheets and yes, it does need the space. But not all do.

I've done the 'wheelie-bin' bit but got fed up with the lack of stability. Nothing beats a good machine sitting on concrete ...

The OP wants to make doors. You need space for that.
Granted, you can move your machine around, rotate it...but as you say, 'Nothing beats a good machine sitting on concrete ...'.

Dear guys,

Many thanks for all your comments. Again space is tight 12x6 feet so I wondered which combi are fit for purpose and easy to change. Alternatively, if you feel the single one aree better as some of you suggested then please suggest what make, brand etc. to go for.

Great thanks for your time and advice.

Amirkhan

+1 for wheels. In a 11' x 8' shed, I have a fixed workbench, 6' long, 2' wide, then: Elecktra Bekum 260 P/T, Wadkin AGS, APTC dust extractor, Record 'Dalek' sucker, Crescent Junior clone bandsaw, Naerok clone floor drill, Rolling toolbox, workmates, assorted pabulum. I CAN work with the doors shut in cold weather, by doing a passable imitation of a limbo dancer, but I open the doors and use a 10' x10' covered space just outside for big items.

Sam

I've got a Robland combi (saw/spindle/pt) with a 2m sliding table thats in a single/1.5 garage. It does work but only just; also this is my machine shop - sooo I would say you might be better off with separates if a single garage is all you've got. These larger machines can have a wheel set fitted but you are talking some serious weight - its possible but not something you want to do much.

Id don't swapping functions much of an issue but it does seem - across the board - that guards/fences are where comprises in design have to be made. Depends what machine you're looking at really. They are quite squareish and heavy but because of its config for instance I have a massive outfeed on the saw and massive infeed for the spindle.

Not sure where in Herts you are but you're more than welcome to pop in and check it out - sometimes seeing things in the flesh crystalizes the mind.

I have a shed with a bit more space than a single garage and went for seperates
I have a kity combination stored in my garage which was my original plan
I think you would have to use wheels to push from one side to the other to get to the different machines

p.s. if you go down the combi route give me a shout :)

Steve

I have made quite a few doors and windows on my Stenberg KEV 600 in a single car garage measuring 2,9 by 5,5 metres. This machine was manufactured in Sweden in 1957 and they are no longer made. It is a combination of a 600 mm planer/thicknesser and a 400mm/3,7kW saw bench and a 2,2 kw spindle moulder.
stenberg såg.JPG

There is no mortiser on it so I had the machine standing with it's back up against a wall and used a separate mortiser. This way one can fit a sizeable combination machine into a garage but it has to be a machine designed to be worked from the front whatever you do on it.

Attachments

• stenberg såg.JPG
    stenberg såg.JPG
    157.2 KB · Views: 1,275
Hi There,
Thanks for all your advice and help. I live in Hertfordshire. Has any of you any combination/separate machines for sale by that I mean bench saw, planer thicknesser and spindler moulder/router etc. as separate or combination? i would be interested.
Cheers

My first combo when i was in a single garage was a Lurem C210B.

They are much smaller than other combo's and you can move them about like a wheel barrow. They have good functions i.e. surface planer with long cast tables. thicknessing with the benefit of a clutch, 30mm spindle and a 10" saw with a sliding table and 45 degree tilt. mine also had slot morticing facilities.

I appreciate they only have one motor however changing belts was easy and only took a few seconds.

katellwood":2613bpfc said:
My first combo when i was in a single garage was a Lurem C210B.

They are much smaller than other combo's and you can move them about like a wheel barrow. They have good functions i.e. surface planer with long cast tables. thicknessing with the benefit of a clutch, 30mm spindle and a 10" saw with a sliding table and 45 degree tilt. mine also had slot morticing facilities.

I appreciate they only have one motor however changing belts was easy and only took a few seconds.

Same here and it was in a single garage. I made a front door with side lights and a set of garage doors with it.

hammer n nails":1qihy43z said:
I have a planer/thicknesser, table saw,and a full size router table and a large bandsaw all on wheels and it all fits in my 8x12 shed !
I would love to see some pictures/plans. I struggle to turn round in my shed, which is roughly that size.

amirkhan":34fhc9gn said:
Hi There,
Thanks for all your advice and help. I live in Hertfordshire. Has any of you any combination/separate machines for sale by that I mean bench saw, planer thicknesser and spindler moulder/router etc. as separate or combination? i would be interested.
Cheers

as said I have a kity combination collecting dust in my storage garage
I do not have a clue on its value
and I have not used so would not be able to demonstrate or assemble

Steve

Back