Record Power Extractor

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evoman76

Established Member
Reaction score
Can anyone tell me the difference between the DX1000 and the RSDE1 HPLV extractors as apart from the price the specs on the website look the same to me ?!

Thanks

The Record DX1000 and the Charnwood DC50 look remarkably like the cheaper unit from Rutlands which I have, and although the Rutlands unit has basic no frills finish and is a bit on the noisy side it has enough suck to clear my Planer, 12"Sanding disk, ChopSaw and Bandsaw better than my old setup with Chip extractor and with a very good dust stopping capability.

The only thing I will be doing is to make a dedicated cage to support the Paper Bag over-filter next time it needs changing to avoid the crude method of wrapping around cartridge filter.

Time will tell if the Record statement to be better engineered to meet the 5 yrs guarantee has merit but as I only need it an hour or so every couple of weeks I think the cheaper unit is worth the risk.

David

With respect to CHJ these small extractors will not clear all the different types of machines, my 2400watt Numatic (over twice the power of the Record) was unable to clear my Kitty planer because of a particularly badly designed extract port on the Kitty, but the Axminster: http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-ho ... eal-717658 cleared it easily and is able to clear everything in my workshop, including small annoying children and dogs. LOL I am not saying you have to go this route, but felt it best to point out that these small flow machines have limitations.

Mike

"...these small extractors will not clear all the different types of machines.."

Hmmmm...beg, respectfully, to differ Mike.

I have used both types for donkeys' years; I find - as you hint at later in your post - that air flow path is crucial. See Siggy 7's excellent notes on same. I have Woodbloke's old APTC sucker on my P/T and table saw. It's only 1hp, but...because I use a minimal length 100mm hose and am careful about porting, I get ALL my chips picked up.

Your "2400watt Numatic".... was that by any chance fitted with a 63mm hose as most of the catalogue pictures show? NO WAY would I hitch that to a planer or tablesaw. It would choke up P.D.Q. with the sheer volume of solids ejected.

I've owned three of the Record/Rutland's 'dalek' style vacuum-cleaner-on-steroids extractor and even with a good big 100mm hose (and the odd adapter for hand power tools) they all needed a separation phase as the bag clogs and the filter can get hammered by P.M. (from about 1-2micron up?). A good solution is again, SHORT hose, straight as possible, and use a cyclone (preferably) or Thein baffle (only 90% efficient?), upstream from the dalek.

I emphasise, I am a hobby woodworker, and so would withdraw my remarks for a high-volume professional cabinetmaker, as their requirements would wreck my amateur gear in a working week or perhaps even day.

I think there is a great temptation to throw horsepower - and by implication, dosh - at a problem. But, "It ain't what you got, it's how you use it." - the old, proven, photographer's adage.

I'm off now to cadge a few McDonald's fat straws for my Dremel outfit....

Sam

No the Numatic is fitted with a cyclone 100mm inlet, I stand by what I said, but differ away if you wish, I also did not hint at anything, I said it would not pick up from my P/T.

Mike

I've the DX1000 and it just - only just - copes with my 310mm pt. I dealt with my old 260 pt just fine. Occasionally clogs but easy to clear. It is properly noisy though.

Except you can't get over the inadequacies of an underpowered extractor and or torturous route, like you can with a more powerful extractor, its all very well buying a small machine for your current set up, but if you change to larger machines (as we all do eventually) you have the added expense of changing the extractor as well, having too large an extractor in the first place is not an incumbrance and with a induction motor its quieter as well, much better to overwhelm your requirements rather than just! meeting them.

Mike

Back