Inca Euro 260 bandsaw motor problem

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sylvandale

Reaction score
I have an Inca Euro 260 bandsaw, model 342.186, from 1986. For quite a while now, the saw has been reluctant to start easily. I have finally got round to giving it a thorough clean and trying to fix the problem. The situation is this:

1. Under normal operation, when switched on the motor hums but doesn't have enough "oomph" to start the blade moving. If I give the blade a bit of flick, it starts moving and the motor kicks in and all is fine.

2. With the blade removed, the motor starts and turns the wheel fine, without needing any help from me.

3. I discovered, by accident, that (with the blade off) if the wheel is moving the wrong way and the motor is started then it will continue to run the wrong way.

Having trawled the forums, I have seen a lot of mentions of start and/or run capacitors. Can any kind soul confirm from the above whether a dead or dying capacitor is definitely my problem? I have also seen mentions of wiring faults and shorts, and also centrifugal switches, but my knowledge of motors is rather limited, so I am hoping someone can rule all those out for me too.

Then, if it is the capacitor, can anyone tell me, or tell me where to find out, what model it is, please? The motor is an ATB single phase 0.45kw motor and there is a cylinder about 10cm bolted to the outside of the motor. I am guessing that is the capacitor, but am not sure whether it is a start capacitor or a run capacitor, or both (if that is possible). It has been rather unhelpfully spray painted a nice shade of hammerite green, so I can't see any markings on it. There is a plate on the motor itiself which states "start capacitor [blank]; run capacitor 10uF 450V DB". Does this imply there is only one capacitor, and if so would this big cylindrical lump be it?

I'm happy to post photos if it helps

many thanks

definitely capacitor.
take off the metal box and you should find the specification printed on the side of the capacitor. A word of Caution as you obviously havent done this before...
Capacitors store electricity. They can give extremely violent electric shocks if mis handled.

As soon as you have the capacitor in sight, use a metal screwdriver with a plastic or wooden handle and (making sure you are NOT touching the metal shaft) short the two terminals together (power off but not unplugged). Most of the time a dead capacitor wont have anything inside it, but dont take the chance.

Many thanks for the comments and advice.

One more question: I assume that this type of capacitor is not electrolytic. In other words, there is no positive or negative and, it doesn't matter which terminal is wired to which cable. Is that right?

If you get a motor run rated capacitor. It will be the correct non polarised type. Don't even think about an electrolytic type it will end in tears trust me!

Latest posts

Back