Stuck Bandsaw Blade

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveF

Established Member
Reaction score
How to you release a blade that has binded with a closed kerf?
the blade is more important than the wood
it is a big lump and i have tried wedging behind to open kerf

Steve

I did that on a big green log and the blade was a £50 jobby, I took the whole blade off the machine and chopped the wood up with a recip saw until it released the blade

ApplebyWT":1tmvggw1 said:
How do you mean by closed kerf Steve?

a lump of green oak that has pinched the blade
it has closed up behind the cut

I will go with the recip option
I should be able to do this with blade still in place

Steve

Any possibility you could screw (or better still coach bolt) a small block of wood on either side of the kerf and use them with a reversed cramp or studding and nuts to jack the kerf open?

Eric The Viking":1k8ekmew said:
If you have one, try forcing a big coachbolt in along the grain (down the cut). Drill a short start hole to get it started - should be a very effective wedge that won't slip, allowing you to fidget the stock off the blade.
That's a really good idea - I'll save that one for future use ! That's the thing with bandsaw blades, it doesn't take much to kink one. Your coachbolt idea sounds alot more controllable than hammering in a wedge.
Cheers
Coley

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Try screwing a normal screw into the slot already cut - this may easily widen the slot as the taper on the screw is wound down. If you can get a hex head screw this may be easier to wind down. By using (say) 3 screws starting (say) 18" from the blade this may allow screws to be progessively inserted at first 12" and then 6".

Terry

Back