Bandsaw Tyres in the UK?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twodoctors

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Not sure whether I've been stung on eBay... in any case I bought another bandsaw from the bay. It's a Scheppach Basa 1.0, which is an "upgrade" from my Guild baby bandsaw. Having said that mechanically it's essentially the same saw! 300W (less power), but 100mm depth, bearing guides, decent fence, cover-off safety, solid table, all metal construction... it's better than what I have. For £84, I thought it isn't bad price.

Until I turned it on tonight. Immediately ditched the blades that were provided... I think they were the original. What looks like 1/4" 10TPI was installed, and 1/4" 24TPI spare. Looks like the guy haven't changed the blades since day 1 (a year old apparently). Installed same Tuff Saw blades (what else!)... Ian sent me what he thought I would need, and as a bonus (again) a 1/8" 14TPI to play with. He did say it's a pipper to install, and it was!

Took a while but finally got it working and cutting, but bang! The blade slipped on cutting turns. Turns out that the tyre on the wheels are not as tight as it should be (nothing like the Guild baby saw). I can relatively easily slide the tyre off, top and bottom, and the blades were actually pushing the tyre off the wheel on cutting turns, and the blade end up sitting on the wheel. Seemed to be no issue on straight cut.

Googled it and some say hairspray (will try). I have some double sided tape which may be better as a holding measure (pun intended).

No one seems to sell tyres. Some site mentioned urethane ones, but appears to be sold only in the US, which sounds a bit ridiculous to me. Surely Google knows nothing, or the sellers haven't paid enough loyalty to Sergey Brin and the results are in page 1221 or something like that.

Can anyone help? Steve M? Malcolm?

Adrian

Double sided tape seems to be working with the 3/16" 10TPI so far...

There I said it . Probably going to jinx it now! :-O

Adrian

Back