CBN wheels

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JWD

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently posted about getting a new grinder for sharpening woodturning tools. After a bit of deliberation i've come up with an idea that might be a bit more cost effective in the long run:

I already have an ok grinder, i was thinking of using the motor from this to drive a shaft between 2 bearings with an attached CBN wheel and a leather/MDF stropping wheel. Then making two identical tool rests for both wheels to sharpen scrapers and gouges on - using Marius Hornbergers plans.

Overall cost looking at about £130 with the wider CBN wheel.

My question to you guys is: 1. should i get the CBN wheel instead of a standard 40mm white wheel?
2. is it necessary to get the wider CBN wheel?

TIA
joe

If you can afford it I would say go with the CBN, it's a lifetime investment, plus it will never need dressing and will always give a true flat finish. I would have one tomorrow over a white wheel if I had the spare change.

The beauty of CBN wheels is that if you use some sort of overhang gauge when you attach the tool to a jig the angle will always be the exactly the same (as the diameter of the wheel doesn't change) so the steel you take off is absolutely minimal which is important when you're paying a small fortune for your tools.

CBN wheels are amazing. If you can get one then get one or at least make sure you can upgrade to one in the future. It is undescribable how different they are.
Got mine from the toolpost to fit my slow speed Axminster grinder. Takes longer to spin up the grinder and jig the tool than to sharpen. A quick light touch is all it needs.

I've got a wide Cbn on a crusen slow speed grinder - it's great. Wide wheel def easier if you like swept back wings on larger gouges. Possible on 20 mm wheels of course, just easier. Also I don't think cost massive difference?

Re proposed set-up, I'm struggling to visualise but you obviously need to think about how to minimise unsupported shaft and also, even if you have a slow sppped grinder, wouldn't that be too fast for leather homing wheel + wrong direction unless you have access from both sides?

Ah ok i see your point, does the speed have to be slower for a CBN wheel? the motor is about 3000 rpm, would i be able to manipulate that speed enough with different sized pulleys or not?
cheers
joe

and the honing wheel is just a thought, ive seen ones made from MDF ran on regular cheapo bench grinders

JWD":1pfnvhyx said:
Ah ok i see your point, does the speed have to be slower for a CBN wheel? the motor is about 3000 rpm, would i be able to manipulate that speed enough with different sized pulleys or not?
cheers
joe

no it doesn't have to be slow, i've run a 6" CBN on a normal speed grinder for a few years now and its fine

Back