Gravel/shingle "strip" along the edge of conservatory

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

disco_monkey79

Established Member
Reaction score
Howdy

We moved in to a house with a conservatory. Along the outside of the exerior wall is a strip covered in shingle, with grass on the other side of that.

The OH wants to do away with the shingle, so it can simply be mowed, instead of weeded.

However, would grass make a moisture "bridge", encouraging damp above the damp course? Is that why most conservatories seem to have a path around them? Or is that aesthetic?

I'm all for making less work in the garden, but not at the expense of mouldy walls.

Ta!

p.s. I appreciate that always keeping the lawn at a buzz cut, well below the damp course, would mean this couldn't be a problem. However, that's not realistically going to happen!

Sounds like what that shingle could be is a "french drain", a shallow trench filled with gravel as a rainwater soakaway - where is the rainwater from the conservatory going? Is there guttering around the roof or is it flowing into the shingle, and if there is guttering, is there a downpipe cut at ground level feeding into the shingle?

Good point. There is guttering, that feeds in to a water butt. However, if that weren't there, the shingle would be where the water would end up.

I would expect that shingle is covering a french drain. You do not want to remove that. If the weeds are causing a problem, dig up the shingle, lay a permeable weed control fabric down and then replace the shingle.

I had a conservatory built last year and the company I brought it from told me to leave a four inch strip of gravel/slate in front of the conservatory to let the foundation breathe. I am not sure that is needed but as it has a 10 year warranty we have that strip along the front wall.

john

(hammer) Women have no commonsense. Spray with roundup once or twice a year, job done!

If you take the grass right to the wall you'll have to strim the edge anyway every time you cut the grass. I know which I'd rather do.

Bob

Lons":35bm3ycl said:
(hammer) Women have no commonsense. Spray with roundup once or twice a year, job done!

If you take the grass right to the wall you'll have to strim the edge anyway every time you cut the grass. I know which I'd rather do.

Bob

I thinking that ........the second part at least :D

Women are perfect. All married men have this on good authority. From our wives. Without them, we would be unaware of our myriad faults.

Rorschach":1tj4e1q7 said:
I would expect that shingle is covering a french drain. You do not want to remove that. If the weeds are causing a problem, dig up the shingle, lay a permeable weed control fabric down and then replace the shingle.

Sorry...totally disagree. French drains don't last. Perceived wisdom is to lay semi-permeable membrane on top of the shingle in a French drain to stop the 'fines' blocking up the drain. So what happens? The 'fines' simply sit on top of the semi-permeable membrane and clog that up instead. Same result. It stops working.

Also, nothing at all to do with letting the foundation 'breathe'.

If you want to put down grass then lay a proper drain away from the greenhouse roof to a decent soak away or better a good land drain.

RogerS":6rku7m5u said:
Rorschach":6rku7m5u said:

Sorry...totally disagree. French drains don't last. Perceived wisdom is to lay semi-permeable membrane on top of the shingle in a French drain to stop the 'fines' blocking up the drain. So what happens? The 'fines' simply sit on top of the semi-permeable membrane and clog that up instead. Same result. It stops working.

Also, nothing at all to do with letting the foundation 'breathe'.

If you want to put down grass then lay a proper drain away from the greenhouse roof to a decent soak away or better a good land drain.

My suggestion was for stopping the weeds.

Back