Great Price SocketSet if anyone is in market for 1.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrDavidRoberts

Established Member
Reaction score
Had setup a price alert on 3 camels some months ago and seems like it has dropped massively in price today.

65pounds for a Proper German KSTools stuff,used to be around 100 when I last looked few months ago.
Halfords stuff although decent for DIY doesn't really comes close to these in quality.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/KS-Tools-917-0 ... B00DEGW6D6

71SIGNfK0IL._SL1024_.jpg

They're out of stock by the looks of it, but Amazon will come through at that price eventually. I've ordered a set.

Yes they seem to have gone out of stock by Amazon now. Glad I got my order in early!

It doesn't matter if you can wait, you'll still get it at the price from Amazon, they won't cancel the order and they will find stock rather than annoy their customers.

paulrockliffe":121tsdlk said:
It doesn't matter if you can wait, you'll still get it at the price from Amazon, they won't cancel the order and they will find stock rather than annoy their customers.

That's good to know.

So it is, that's quite a price jump though!

Previously Amazon sold me a £120 Starrett combination square for £25, a pricing error that they stood by 4 months later when they finally managed to find me one. I didn't realise it was such a bargain at the time, or I'd have ordered a boot full!

Would you say that's better than the halfords Professional steel which I thought was okay?

I have Wera stuff which I rate highly, don't need anything snap on level, but am looking for a basher set of sockets I can use on site or could trust others to use so was thinknig of picking up halfords professional set which I thought is okay

Halfords professional set better value, lifetime warranty, I've used snap on , facom and now use Halfords . Some fitters at work use the Halfords set and it gets a hard life every day and they have no problems
David

The halfords professional stuff is supposedly on a half price deal and still costs twice as much for a similar set.

Halfords professional is decent enough, I have lots of it and I've never had a problem, other than a 12" ratchet that locks itself up. I'd forgotten it has a lifetime warranty, though I suppose I'd need the receipt.

No dispatch for me yet, though it was out of stock when I ordered it, so is likely processed differently.

these were six point sockets unlike halfords -so a better stuff in my book, but for older cars the halfords ones offer advantage of not being able to strip rusted in bolts as much..
but the halfords are just so crude.. The ratchets aren't one of the best either.

Generally ratchets for these KS are way way better, but the sockets itself,well I doubt there's that much of a difference as both are decent and both have warranty on them.

Recently swapped and rebuilt an engine with one of this KS tools set ( borrowed from someone) , top stuff with more or less everything included you might ever need. I have some halfords stuff as well but it's carp if you have used nicer tools, Obviously these aren't the quality of something like snap-on but you get the point.

Either way I doubt these will drop in price again as they cost around 100euros in Germany where they are quite popular and offer amazing value for money. For the 65pounds it was no brainer, but for the 90 it costs now- no point buying if you don't really need them? Although If the 90 was my budget I'm not sure If I could find something better for that.

It was a no brainer for me. I have a fairly comprehensive collection of sockets but they are from many different brands, some better than others and my ratchets are poor and I have no joints/extensions etc. Sometimes to find the right socket or torx bit can take me 10 minutes alone, I know I have them, but I don't have a way to neatly store and organise such a mish mash kit.

This will serve me well as a large kit, all neat and tidy and will cover the vast majority of jobs I do. My other stuff can then be stored away for the rare occasions I need a spark plug size or an imperial socket. The crappy ratchets can be set aside as loaners.

Mine were supposedly arriving today, no sign of it and checked tracking, according to Amazon it's in Surrey (I am in Devon).

Just got home and had a look, it's absolutely superb. So much nicer than my Halfords Professional kit and really comprehensive. Thanks for the recommendation!

Got today as well, seems like it was sent from Germany hence taking so long.
Just as good kit as I remember it.

Mine did arrive eventually late yesterday afternoon. First impressions are generally very good. All feels well made and certainly good value.

Downsides are little niggly things really, like the sockets being loose in the case so you need a piece of foam to stop them falling out, that surely would have been easy to fix? Also there is a lot of duplication of sizes, do I really need 10-14mm sockets in 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" as well as deep versions? I don't think so. Also repetition of a lot of the screwdriver bits that seems unnecessary too.
I think the sockets themselves should last a long time, they feel sturdy and well machined. Ratchets feel smooth too and the fit of the drives is nice with no slop.The allen keys were really cheesy feeling though and felt like an afterthought to bump part numbers.
If anything is going to deteriorate I think it will be the rubber grips and the foam liner, how well they will stand up to oil I don't know, I think maybe bare metal handles would have been better and a more secure fit for the sockets.

Overall, excellent value for money, if I had paid any more though I think I would have been disappointed, not at the quality of the tools but more the lack of thought that went into putting the actual kit together, feels like it was done by a penpusher lol.

Back