sticky tape

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mock

Established Member
Reaction score
What tape would you recommend to stick to a concrete garage floor i have cut a groove in the garage floor to lay a electric cable in to my table saw and would like to cover it with a good tape that would stick to the garage floor the groove i have cut is about a inch wide just to stop the cable from rising
ALAN

Not sure I'd trust any tape. Sticky tape coming unstuck - table saw - trip hazard.... Doesn't bear thinking about really.

Why not install a trunking in the floor?

Thats a dangerous thing to do for several reasons.
Tape will come loose and be a trip hazard.
Cable will rise and be a trip hazard.
Water will pool in the groove that the cable is laying in (even condensation) and could cause electrical shorts and / or electrocution.
Theres a few more but you see the problems.

Either dig a deeper hole and run the cable through a one piece outer sheath that comes above the ground at both ends, and then concrete the trench back up to floor level,
OR (much easier this) run the cable up and over the workshop roof and drop it down to where you need it.

Sand and cement. I've got a few wires buried this way that go to my bench.

ColeyS1":2jqt74k2 said:

Seriously? Are you not aware of the corrosive properties of cement?

NazNomad":336cphom said:
ColeyS1":336cphom said:

The wires got a plug with a fuse on the end, if anything bad was gonna happen....

run the cable through a length of conduit and hot melt glue the conduit to the concrete and fill the gap above with glue /sand mix

ColeyS1":27eihdtl said:
NazNomad":27eihdtl said:
ColeyS1":27eihdtl said:

The wires got a plug with a fuse on the end, if anything bad was gonna happen....

A fuse in a plug protects from a dead short, but it does it slowly (comparitively). many people have died before a 13 amp fuse blows. In fact if you grabbed a live terminal protected by a 13 amp fuse, it would most likely not blow.
Ordinary electric cable has no business being in contact with cement.

sunnybob":v0q4dpfk said:
Ordinary electric cable has no business being in contact with cement.

Oh no! Now I'm going to have to dig up all my drains because they are made of PVC and they are stuck into the manholes with nasty cement and sitting on beds of very corrosive concrete.
They are made of PVC. Ordinary electrical cables are encased in an outer sheath of PVC. It is resistant to the chemicals in cement i.e calcium, sodium and potassium hydroxide. What do you think electrical cable trunking is made of? It is PVC.

Latest posts

Back