sds drill

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bvmsheds

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone can any one recommend a good sds drill for general use, a corded would be what I am after regards Bernard

I've got a Bosch gbh 2000 I think, can't fault it!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

If you want a breaker capability then heavier the better but if you are want to drill holes then something in the 2-3kg range is easiest to use.
Make sure you have a clutch if you are doing any large holes and especially if you might be working up a ladder.

I've got a Bosch GBH 2-26 SDS Plus drill which does all I want it to.

The ability to use SDS+ chisels in it has been far more useful than I expected it would be.

I have the screwfix Titan sds and so far has not let me down and done all I have asked of it.

Another Bosch owner here and again, can't fault it unless you want to use core bits, then as stated, you need a drill with a clutch. I also have an old Makita that i bought second hand for £20 and that has also been faultless.

The big titan sds. I have been abusing it for 4 years. Ive used it for everything from stripping render off a whole house, core drilling 110mm holes through granite and sandstone over 3 feet thick to punching 24mm holes through 4 feet of brickwork. Check the reviews ok it. If it broke id go buy another. Paid for in the first couple of jobs

cedarwood":3dwqp3wi said:
I have the screwfix Titan sds and so far has not let me down and done all I have asked of it.

Me too.
I bought this expecting it to fail but knowing screw fix would refund me if it did.
It's been great and I have given it a fair bit of abuse.
I expected the tools that are included to be duds but they have been fine.
I think I paid £50 for it. Currently £70 all but a few pence.

That reminds me I must top up the grease

I've got the Bosch GBH 2-28 F, which is very good, especially with being able to swop SDS chuck out for a quick change one which has a lot of advantages over sticking a quick change onto the sds. It's got a clutch to stop it grabbing, the hammer function with stopped chuck is nicely controllable due to the pneumatic action and unlike a lot of their stuff is all round a good machine. The only major problem is that it is now about twice the price it used to be. They've been making them for a while so a second hand one may be a good buy.

I have a Makita SDS. It's been good for the heavier drilling tasks and hasn't let me down. The chisel function is great also but being a 2Kg model isn't going to be taking much mass concrete apart.
The chuck has more side to side play in it than I would really want so the holes are not as precise placing as I would like. But then drilling concrete often isn't a very precise operation.
I don't know how it compares to the Bosch as I haven't tried it. If you end up unable to decide between the two then check the side to side play of a bit in the chuck.

-Neil

I've got a Bosch GBH-4-32 and it's a beast. When set on chisel mode it's like a mini breaker but with the clutch function I've I've drilled out 4" cores as well. I've had mixed experiences with Bosch gear but the SDS is a great bit of kit (I think they invented it).

I bought a Bosch GBH 2-26 about 15 months ago for £108. For light chiselling and smallish holes it's a good tool, though I'm sure any drill in the same price bracket would be just as capable. I chose the Bosch over the equivalent Dewalt, Makita and Hitachi because I thought the ergonomics were better.

Saying that, I haven't actually used it since buying a cordless Makita DHR242 last year. As far as I can tell it drills about as quickly as the corded Bosch, which is pretty impressive!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

If you do think you will useing it for breaking a fair bit (I do) look at the KJ rating for the breaker. They vary a fair bit. First SDS I had was and 2kg Atlas Copco which was good machine but I killed it in our house build. Went for a heavier 3 kg Bosch but it packed less punch than the little Atlacs Copco. Axminster were great about about taking it back and I went for a Makita Supermac which has been the mutts nuts but heavy. Also got a 2kg Dewalt which is fine for lighter duties when you don't want to knock seven bells out of the wall you are drilling.

Beau makes a good point. Although i find the makita great at hammering through concrete blocks it's not very subtle. If you want to drill through some more delicate bricks a percussion drill might be better. Especially if you need to drill to the outside face. The SDS is to powerful and would just smash the front face of the bricks.

Neil

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back