First scroll saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrTeroo

Established Member
Reaction score
I would like to try my hand at intarsia but without spending a fortune initially in case it isn't for me.

Would a used Delta 40-530 16" scroll saw be suitable?

What else would I need for a basic setup?

Many thanks

i have a delta and it's great, easy to use and set up, i have the quick release clamp on mine, i don't know if all deltas had them but i think if it doesn't have one you can pick them up second hand from ebay etc,

dynax":3rc5h100 said:
i have a delta and it's great, easy to use and set up, i have the quick release clamp on mine, i don't know if all deltas had them but i think if it doesn't have one you can pick them up second hand from ebay etc,

Is that an easy upgrade?

loftyhermes":rplw2g3c said:
I don't think it's possible to upgrade the 530 to the quickset clamps.
happy scrolling
Steve

So do you recommend I look for a different saw?

How much of a problem is the lack of quickset clamps?

NOT such an easy question really, MrTeroo.

A lot of people here recommend the Delta saws, so they should be good, but personally I have no experience of them, and I THINK I'm right in saying that they're not imported directly into UK, so it's mainly a case of looking on the SH market ("the bay") etc, etc, if you want Delta.

To answer your "easy" question about quick clamps, the advantage is that it makes the job of changing blades much easier and quicker. This is an advantage not only when a blade is broken or worn out but also if you're doing any work which requires internal cuts (you drill a small hole in the work piece, undo one end of the blade, thread it through the hole, refasten the blade and off you go to make whatever internal cut/s you need).

BUT if it's only Intarsia you want to do, then normally, the parts you're cutting out do not have any internal cuts. So apart from changing blades when they break or get blunt, perhaps the lack of quick clamps (usually tool-less BTW) is not so much of a problem - at least, not to start off with.

Also, although based on reputation, the Delta saw is nice to have if you're going to be using a scroll saw a lot (along with Axminster's own brands, Hegner, Excalibur, etc), again, to start off with ANY scroll saw will get you started - I stress again that "get you started" bit.

So there are many other scroll saws on the market, most of which seem to be very similar indeed (apart from the colour!) and I think they all work - up to a point. And "99%" of these seem to come originally from China, probably from the same factory too!

As said, they will all do the job basically, and it's only when you "get the bug" and end up using the saw a lot that things like poorly adjusting tables (for angle cuts), no quick clamp (as above), lack of speed control (helps a lot with different woods and thicknesses), pinned or pin-less blades etc, etc, start to become an irritation.

There are lots of people who start off with these "cheapo" machines (they're offered under many different brand labels at various process!) but make no mistake, they DO do the basic job "OK".

The disadvantage of that approach is of course, IF you do "get the bug" you'll want to get rid of the "cheapo" machine and buy something better (such as the brands listed above). And the re-sale value of the cheapos is (or should be!) "not very much at all". That's how I started off BTW - 1st a Dremel "Motoshop", then an Einhell, and finally an Excalibur 21. (I broke the Dremel up for spares, gave the Einhell away, and bought the Excali new. So all in all, I spent quite a lot, and the cost of the 1st 2 saws was, in a sense, wasted, but in my case, those costs were spread over at least 25 years).

But OTOH, if you start out buying a good machine, you're looking at a fair investment (my Excali cost over 500 quid new), so you may well conclude that you don't want to shell out such a sum unless you're sure you'll like scrolling and end up using the machine to the full.

A difficult decision then, and one which each individual has to make for themselves personally.

In short, my advice is don't worry too much about the "nice to have" details, unless you're sure you are going to get full value for your money and start off buying a good machine from new - OR unless you can find a good deal second hand (which IS possible - they crop up here on the For sale section from time to time).

HTH

AES

Thanks AES

That is exactly my position. I want to try intarsia, but I don't want to spend a lot until I know if I like it or not.

So I think your advice is very good and unless someone chips in with a negative comment re the Delta 40-530 I will get it.

Thanks again!

OK mate, good luck. As said, I have no knowledge of the Delta machine/s myself, but there are several people on this section of UKW (MUCH more experienced than me) who all speak well of the Delta so I guess you won't go wrong.

Good luck with it, and enjoy your scrolling - I've found it (almost) addictive, and the better machine makes it more so!

AES

Back