City Electrical Factors - what a crazy way to run a business

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
To find prices you have to be registered as an account holder. But you can only become an account older (even a cash account) if you are a company registered at Companies House. So if you wish to know a price, you have to ring your local branch and wait, then wait for them to slowly enter the details in their computer then wait while they read them out to you. Bloody daft way to run a business.

That's why TLC-Direct is such a success IMO.

and there robbing bar stewards!!!! there prices make you're eye water!!! get it from screwfix or the internet much cheaper!!

adidat

It seems to me that Screwfix and Toolstation have a business model that is very successful because it works well for both DIY and Trade alike for both internet sales and shops.

Of course they tend to offer the cheaper end products and dont have the range that a trade counter will have access to

The trade counters for building, electrical, plumbing etc are not very accessible for DIYers and there is no transparency on pricing, even for trade!

I guess City Electrical Factors have not moved into the DIY market and have kept their business model entirely trade orientated. If they treat their trade customers well maybe they want to stick to that market....

Ive not found City to be very good on pricing...

adidat":cyvgjtio said:
and there robbing bar stewards!!!! there prices make you're eye water!!!

... and they have x-ray vision. You can stand there for 10 minutes and they can't see you.

A lot of businesses find that retail customers are more trouble than they're worth. Judging by some of the clueless morons I see at the Screwfix counter I can't say I blame them, if CEF want to put off non-trade customers I don't see any problem with that. They certainly put me off when they charged me about £3/m for some 6mm earth cable I needed in a hurry a few years ago.

cef wanted £50 for a bucket of cable clips, got the same item on the net for £20

adidat

As a self employed electrician I find CEF very obscure on pricing, and way more expensive than any other wholesaler. Sometimes time, geography or brand forces me to go there... But I virtually always regret it. TLC is my favourite - clear upfront and friendly.

There are numerous companies work like this.
Its not cost effective to sell to folks spending small (sub-£1000) per annum sums.
So the prices you see are a polite way of telling you to take a hike.
CEF prices & service are very good if you are (big) trade

Guess they have changed there ways. When building our place 6-7 years ago they were well priced. Admittedly pricing was down to the discretion of the guy behind the counter but usually work out cheap enough and way more choice than Screwfix/Toolstaition at the time.

Beau":2soq9vli said:
.... Admittedly pricing was down to the discretion of the guy behind the counter ....

Funny you should say that. I checked their price this morning at a branch nearest tio me and the price was 1p per metre less than TLC-Direct - both + VAT, of course. So I ordered from TLC but when it came to checkout there was a hefty £15 shipping surcharge and so it became a no-brainer to go to CEF. However, while I was there I jokingly mentioned to the guy behind the counter about their weird business model and he said 'Let me see what I can do for you'.

An extra 15% discount !

RogerS":1kozye22 said:
Beau":1kozye22 said:
.... Admittedly pricing was down to the discretion of the guy behind the counter ....

Funny you should say that. I checked their price this morning at a branch nearest tio me and the price was 1p per metre less than TLC-Direct - both + VAT, of course. So I ordered from TLC but when it came to checkout there was a hefty £15 shipping surcharge and so it became a no-brainer to go to CEF. However, while I was there I jokingly mentioned to the guy behind the counter about their weird business model and he said 'Let me see what I can do for you'.

An extra 15% discount !

Not surprised
guess he could see you were not a time waster.
Or maybe he just fancies you :)

My plumber mate adds to quotes what he calls "t w a t" tax for folks he does not like the look of.

lurker":3cqzl8jk said:
My plumber mate adds to quotes what he calls "t w a t" tax for folks he does not like the look of.

Aye, some people just need to pay a little bit more :lol:

RogerS":1y0bp3em said:
Beau":1y0bp3em said:

An extra 15% discount !

Trade places can be law unto themselves. When sorting out the drains for the house shopped around a bit. Jewsons offered 40% discount which sounded good until City Drainage did 80% discount on the pipes and 60% on the fittings! It does make a mockery of RRP and it's nice going to SrewstationTLC and not having to haggle to sort out a good price on goods.

n0legs":2neutgx1 said:
lurker":2neutgx1 said:

Aye, some people just need to pay a little bit more :lol:

One of lifes little pleasures!

Back