Cheap track saw for ripping boards?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LancsRick

Established Member
Reaction score
As per the title really, I'm not after something that can be relied on to do accurate cuts as I will do finishing cuts on my table saw or RAS. What I am after is something to rip 8'x4' boards down to something a bit more manageable before manhandling them in the workshop.

Would any old track saw do given the crude nature of my requirement, or do I still need to invest in something halfway decent?

I normally use a cordless circular saw for just that purpose and make my cuts in the wood yard car park. I keep meaning to make a track for it but haven't got round to doing so yet. If you are looking for a cheap alternative to a snazzy track saw would that not work for you too?

memzey":1agwsx73 said:
I normally use a cordless circular saw for just that purpose and make my cuts in the wood yard car part. I keep meaning to make a track for it but haven't got round to doing so yet. If you are looking for a cheap alternative to a snazzy track saw would that not work for you too?

That would work perfectly for me. What do you support the piece with? Do you freehand the cut then or have you got a piece of 8' straight edge material and clamps? Thanks.

I freehand the cut as I'm typically just breaking sheets down to fit in the car. A couple of battens on the floor to raise the stock is all I use. I haven't made a track for it yet but mean to. I find that if I mark a straight line with a pencil and tape measure I can get a straight enough cut by following it for my purposes. My saw is like this one and uses the same batteries as my cordless drill:

https://www.ffx.co.uk/tools/product/Mak ... -Bare-Unit

Can you not get the supplier to cut it?
When i buy 8 x 4 boards, they will cut it into 4 so that I can get it in the back of the car.

Some do but some charge. My local charges £5 for set up then £1 per cut.

Rick; not sure if it's of interest to you but I've just seen cordless circular saws at Lidl for £49. Can't vouch for the quality but at that price with a 3 year guarantee you can't really go wrong.

I use a B&D circular saw and straight edges (from plywood or MDF off cuts). Cutting them on my drive using a pair off saw horses or sometimes bricks.

Rod

memzey":mtqphiks said:
Some do but some charge. My local charges £5 for set up then £1 per cut.

Rick; not sure if it's of interest to you but I've just seen cordless circular saws at Lidl for £49. Can't vouch for the quality but at that price with a 3 year guarantee you can't really go wrong.

Crikey that's a ride and a half, my local timer merchants charges £0.50 per cut, no set up charge.

Mike

Thanks for all the replies. I can't get the merchant to cut it as the only place near me that sells it (and fortunately sells bb Birch ply at a fair price) deals wholesale and therefore it's a whole sheet or nothing.
I've borrowed an ancient Ferm (I know I know) saw that a friend had going spare so I'll use that and freehand it and see how I can on. Thanks for all the replies.

Rick, have you actually asked them to cut it?
Of course you have to buy the whole board, no wholesaler will be left with odds and sodds, but if you buy regularly, it might be worth a case of beer to the machinist.

Back