Photos

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alexam

Bandsaw Boxmaker
Reaction score
Can someone please explain what is needed to input photos and have the facility to allow them to be enlarged when clicked on. The photos can look so much better but all I do is reduce the size of my jpeg's to 25 0r 30% and use that.

Could it be that it has to be another format and not jpeg?

Malcolm

Just try adding a pic as an attachment.

IMG_0671.JPG

edit: By the way this is the prototype so don't judge it too harshly :)

Attachments

• IMG_0671.JPG
    IMG_0671.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 1,234
The files don't have to be over the top in physical size to give quite a lot of detail.
hereford1.jpg

Attachments

• hereford1.jpg
    hereford1.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 1,160
Thanks guys,

I must have been having one of my 'senior moments' again. Have checked on the photos I sent in and they do enlarge. Only one of them doesn't but I can see now that it was a greater reduction than the others.
Malcolm

Just a test
6ol6s.jpg

Wey Hey !! did it :D

Attachments

• 6ol6s.jpg
    6ol6s.jpg
    87 KB · Views: 1,148
This was the first, that made me think it was wrong
Double Spalted Beech 2R.jpg

and having looked at it agai,I saw the reduction was greater than the others that were with it, like this which I have now changed back to larger size
30%r.jpg

So, by reducing my originals of 2592 x 1976 px (1.7 MB) by 30% with free program 'Paint',
I get 778 x 581 px (214.4 KB)

Attachments

• Double Spalted Beech 2R.jpg
    Double Spalted Beech 2R.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 1,103
  • 30%r.jpg
    30%r.jpg
    214.4 KB · Views: 1,103
Lots of members use online photo hosting sites to display pictures. I do, and still use Photobucket, though I wouldn't necessarily recommend it, other services are available. However, it does give a nice option where the picture displayed in the forum is a small one, but clicking on it takes you to a higher resolution version, but anyone not wanting all the detail doesn't have to wait for the full size pic to download. That's especially good for anyone browsing on a mobile where they won't have unlimited data usage. As the images are not on UKW servers, they don't hit the (rather small) size limit.

There's a whole other discussion on how anyone makes money storing and displaying people's pictures for free. Some of it was touched on in this thread
photobucket-pictures-missing-t104600.html

Nothing. As with most such services, a basic account is free. There are options to "upgrade" but I have never needed to.

I'm sick of photobucket. I've started using Flickr where I can. 1 terrabit of storage, BBcode linking (much nicer) and no popups.

I use Flickr for some images, but have a paid account with Smugmug for my important images. I will use a discussion board's hosting services for images I don't care about, but for everything else, I want to be in control of my intellectual property and copyrights.

I always stick to using the forum server, using lightroom helps massively, it's very easy to limit file size on export, I remember the early photoshop days, boy have things changed since then.

Back