3 or 4 hinges?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug71

Established Member
Reaction score
I am hanging some pairs of external doors I have made, the doors are slightly taller then normal, about 7' high but only 2'6" wide, 56mm thick. They will be double glazed, about two thirds glass with a wooden panel in the bottom and are made out of Accoya. They open outwards.

I was just going to use 3 bearing type butt hinges per door but when I stand back the extra bit of height does make them look tall.

Should 3 hinges be okay or should I use 4 to be sure, seems overkill though, just wondered what others thought?

Thanks, Doug

Opinion only. :D I suspect any advantage from using four would outweighed by having a least one pulling against the others. The chances of getting four in a dead straight line in all planes and all four carrying any weight would be remote.

3 hinges I reckon.

the doors are only about 2130 high not much higher than a standard 1980 door

The only thing to bear in mind is that accoya is quite brittle, Ive had to replace a few doors due to the wind catching them and flying open then splitting at the hinge screws. Just beware if the doors are in a windy location.

Got some very heavy doors here nearly a meter wide so big load on the hinges and they are fine on 3.

I just made this one.
f833302fc9ae0b1895bd7c288db0f4e5.jpg

It seemed rather lumpy (double boarded) so thought two at the top would help. I can't see any issues with you having too many hinges tbh.
Coley

Back