110v bargain tools

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flinny01

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am beginning a house restoration, so despite this being my first post, no doubt there will be more to come over the coming months.

I picked up some 110v power tools from an ex joiner offering 70% off his festools but wanted to check:

1. Should I be expecting some loss or change in performance compared to a 240v equivalent (chop saw, sander, vac)
2. Is the best way to power these in a home environment to get a 'portable' 240v - 110v converter box or just a straight socket to socket converter (1/4 of the price). These won't be used 'on site', and only really one at a time
3. Any wiring/plugs/fuse requirements I should be checking for in the house circuit?

Thanks and looking forward to a steep learning curve

Adam

You need a proper 240V to 110V site transformer, rated at least 1500W (also written 1.5kW or 1500VA). Get something like this. It will let you run two commonly-sized tools at once (not that you want to).

80013.jpg

There are several reasons for this, but 110V tools are made that way for safety reasons. Just changing the voltage is only part of it. You don't have to lug the transformer all over the place, usually: It's quite OK to have a 110V extension lead from the transformer to where you are working, as long as it's a good quality one. I use an extension with my rail saw, so that I don't have to fuss about where to park the transformer when cutting up sheet goods.

I don't know what a "socket to socket converter" is but it sounds dangerous. If it's what I'm thinking of it is dangerous. If it is only a 240 plug wired directly to a 110V socket, it will destroy your tools on first use (probably), or at least blow any internal fuses they have.

There is no reason why 110V tools should perform differently from the 240V equivalent. The cable has to be slightly thicker and heavier, but that is usually a good thing.

Bear in mind the whole of America, Japan and other places use 110V as the common mains voltage for small electrical things (including power tools). Bigger American things such as workshop tablesaws, thicknessers, etc. -- anything with really big motors -- are usually arranged to work from higher voltages.

They usually get by... :)

E.

You must use a 110v transformer. You may also find a 110volt extension lead necessary as well. I would buy a double socket transformer and personally I like the type have have a blue LED to show when the socket is live. Screwfix do them for circa £100 as I recall. You will notice little performance difference compared to a 240 volt tool. And has you don't have the equivalent to compare it makes no difference!

Edit = beaten to the draw above!

Eric The Viking":1y54vhy4 said:
You need a proper 240V to 110V site transformer, rated at least 1500W

AJB Temple":1y54vhy4 said:
You must use a 110v transformer. You may also find a 110volt extension lead necessary as well.

+2. Bear in mind that with all else being equal, a 110V tool will draw twice as much current as its 230V equivalent. Any extension leads will consequently have to be heavier duty.

Another thing to consider, especially with motorized equipment, is the mains frequency. Europe (and most of the world) uses 50Hz, while North America uses 60Hz. This means AC motors designed to work in North America will run slower in Europe and produce less power, since the motor RPM is directly related to the line frequency. This is not the case for DC motors that use a bridge rectifier to convert the AC, and should not affect chargers used for cordless equipment.

I've got a 110 volt 9" angle grinder with a transformer as pictured ^^^. Don't notice anything to suggest it's a lesser tool than a 240v model, it's still a beast.

Gumtree is where some naughty people sell all kinds of stuff that came from places that were not expecting to donate it.....

flinny01":9cp5p1p3 said:
...2. Is the best way to power these in a home environment to get a 'portable' 240v - 110v converter box or just a straight socket to socket converter (1/4 of the price)...
A socket to socket converter does not covert the voltage - so you'll be supplying 240v to your 120v machines. They're going to burn out.

My stepson found this out the hard way. He brought a lava-lamp back from the States. Surprisingly, using just a socket converter, it ran for an hour or two before it "popped" and leaked a waxey mess on the floor #-o

Cheers, Vann.

Back