Printed parts

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul Hannaby

Established Member
Reaction score
Having been persuaded to buy a 3D printer last year for my son to experiment with, I have been looking for uses for it for myself. The table insert on my bandsaw was looking the worse for wear and new ones are £17 or more so I thought it would be the ideal project. I produced the drawing and put the machine to work. The photo below shows a black original against the one I "printed" in white plastic. Next time I need a new insert I can just print one!

bandsaw-insert.jpg

Now I'm looking at other uses such as grinding gauges, custom chuck jaws and maybe things like indexing wheels. As long as a drawing can be produced, in theory it can be printed!

Attachments

• bandsaw-insert.jpg
    bandsaw-insert.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 1,121
Ive always wondered about the 3d printers. you say it was £17 for a new insert but how does that compare to the cost of printing your own part, what cost is it?

Looks identical though mate so good job.

Colin

technium":1mq5egku said:
Ive always wondered about the 3d printers. you say it was £17 for a new insert but how does that compare to the cost of printing your own part, what cost is it?

Looks identical though mate so good job.

Colin
Pennies - once you have the printer.

I'll order three now for my axminster 350N please.
(No, I am NOT joking, I can paypal or send cash)

Mike,
There is a wood fibre based plastic for these machines so perhaps some time I will try printing a bowl! ;) My son has already printed a goblet so the sky's the limit!

Colin,
Cost of plastic is a few pence and the power consumption of the machine is around 200W so that will cost a few pence too. The big cost is the labour time to produce the drawing but I guess a competent draftsman could produce a drawing for something like this in a few minutes. It took me significantly longer because it was the first time I had used Sketchup and I was learning on the fly!

Bob,
This insert is 70mm dia x 5mm deep. Is that the right size for your saw?

Paul, you are exactly right on those measurements. I could see its identical to mine which is why I asked.

If you want to make some then PM me with details and price.
Thanks

I have to ask which printer is it? It's awfully tempting now the quality is clearly quite decent.
It's my wife's 50th birthday next month and she might like one :twisted:

I got a printer at Christmas,
One of the first actually useful things I printed was a bandsaw insert for my Metabo BAS316 (design from thingiverse ).
I've found it useful for all sorts of odds and ends; drawer pulls, various vacuum hose adapters, feet for greenhouse staging, brackets for twin-slot shelving, Star knobs, hold down clamps.

I print mostly in ABS.

The Fox crapomatic uses square inserts 5mm thick. I use the saw to cut inserts from flat pvc (really cheap) from direct plastics online. next time I buy plastic I might just get a bit of oiled nylon. (round off corners by hand using whatever is nearest, (grinder, angle grinder or sander)

Ian, I'm printing these with PLA. It seems tough enough but I guess time will tell!

I have tried printing a couple of things with ABS but so far I haven't been able to keep them flat!

Rather think this is the shape of things to come.....the beginning of the "replicator" from Star trek isn't it? Once the technology is more evolved, slicker, faster there will doubtless be an ever growing online library of patterns for all manner of useful household bits n bobs and the production will be mush faster. Imagine if they perfect the powdering of food substances/flavours.....you'll be able to "print" a steak!!

Paul Hannaby":rt14igb0 said:
Ian, I'm printing these with PLA. It seems tough enough but I guess time will tell!

I have tried printing a couple of things with ABS but so far I haven't been able to keep them flat!

I have had problems with ABS too.
Only way I could get a print to stick was to do it when everybody is out and keep all of the doors shut to avoid drafts.
I found putting little round pads in the corners helped too.

I came to the conclusion that the only way to use ABS reliably would be to enclose it, but never got around to it.
With new materials being developed with many of the properties of ABS I probably won't bother.

ian_in_the_midlands":fwb9r9xy said:
I came to the conclusion that the only way to use ABS reliably would be to enclose it, but never got around to it.
With new materials being developed with many of the properties of ABS I probably won't bother.

I did build an enclosure, and agree that is the key to getting reliable ABS prints. A coating of "ABS Juice" on the bed helps too.

I have tried PETG as an alternative, but I didn't get on with it.

Back