Concealed drawer slides for flush faced dovetail drawers?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sawdust=manglitter

Established Member
Reaction score
I plan on making a large TV cabinet shortly and will be making the drawers with half blind dovetails. The drawers will be flush to the face of the cabinet (like the photos below), but the OH has asked whether they can be on drawer slides which are soft close.

I've seen that you can get some undermounted/concealed drawer slides, but the ones I've seen don't seem to be suitable for a flush face drawer, as the side brackets would be exposed.

feb8f6f1cda5b346ba6feb72828e1625.jpg

456d17e77141688812e6ef400b9eab51.jpg

Have others had this problem before? What products would people recommend for this purpose?

I think you are going go have to tell your customer that their request is mutually inconsistent, you can't have both. It's a pity that the modern craze fro soft close is hastening the demise of truly fitted drawers.
Tell the cutomer they have a choice between ironmongery or craftsmanship!

Chris

Hello,

It seems to me your OH doesn't understand fine Cabinetmaking. Drawer slides are used by those who cannot make dovetailed drawers, nicely fitted into the drawer pockets, without rattling or rocking, with just a swoosh of air to cushion the closure.

A bit of education might work, or else abandon the nice drawers for stock kitchen cabinet ones and save yourself the pain.

Mike.

Yes you can use under mount soft close runners such as Blum or Grass but you really need a 1.5 / 2mm gap all round your draw as they tend to be quite bouncy in use, and they do take up quite a lot of space under the draw. .

Thanks all for the replies. Food for thought indeed!

The trouble is having a client that can't make up their mind, have unrealistic expectations with no clue of how long things take to make, and expect everything to be done for free... oh wait, I've even got to pay for the privalage of making things for her... the things we do for love!!

Nice job Katellwood :D. How much of a gap did you need to leave around the drawers? I will try to push for the more traditional (and satisfying) method if I can help it though

Back