Maple Leaf Rasp/File

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rxh

Established Member
Reaction score
This tool is a rounded rasp on one side and a flat file on the other. Does any one know if it belongs to a particular trade? I wonder if it was for a farrier or cobbler. I was also interested in the stamp, which presumably indicates Canadian manufacture. I'm not well up on Canadian tools - the only other ones I know of are Stanley planes and Veritas.

Attachments

• IMG_5040C.jpg
    IMG_5040C.jpg
    224.1 KB · Views: 717
  • IMG_5038C.jpg
    IMG_5038C.jpg
    251.4 KB · Views: 717
  • IMG_5037C.jpg
    IMG_5037C.jpg
    232.8 KB · Views: 717
BB beat me to it. Don't think they were ever intended for a specific trade, just a handy four-in-one type of thing. I've always thought I'd find one quite uncomfortable to use, if not actively dangerous, with bare hands! Got the chance to handle one a year or so ago and it was every bit as uncomfortable for the dominant hand as one would imagine, rasp side up or down.

Thanks for your replies. Yes, it is not very comfortable to hold.

I think you will find it was made by Nicholson, in or for Canada.

I would not be without mine , but only as a general "handy" tool . Not the most comfortable or accurate bit of steel , rather a good pocket tool for rough adjustments. I hate exposed nail ends or rough handrails or , well , you get the idea . So my jacket pocket often houses my four in hand , which is handy.

Back