Sharpening set up

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JWD

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, Hoping you could help me with sorting out a new sharpening system for the lathe.

I'm a beginner turner and appropriately have a beginner lathe - clarke cw12d - Is this worth keeping hold of for occasional turning that wont be very adventurous?
I was thinking of getting a record grinder with the 40mm stone and having a jig attached for repeatable grinds, does anyone have any other ideas that might be better?
many thanks
joe

It all depends on how much you're prepared to spend really. The Sorby Pro-edge is pretty much the most flexible but its a high cost when you're starting out. The record grinders with a jig setup are a perfectly reasonable place to start so I think you're on the right track. Personally I would opt for the 8" wheel version not the 6"

Thanks for the reply!
yeah sub 100 would be ideal so i'm thinking fork out for the 8" wheel and make the jig myself, just wondering if anyone had come across a super cheap alternative.

joe

The only way you'll get it cheaper is if you buy a cheaper (still new) grinder or get one second hand. To be honest, those Record 8" wheelers are highly recommended by many of the turners I know and they're not that pricey. You might at some point n the future want to consider an elliptical grinding system that will handle the complex geometry of bowl and spindle gouges but even those complex bevels can be done by eye, freehand with practice. Most everything else can be done perched on the edge of a toolrest. If you do decide to go cheaper on the grinder you'll run the risk of quality problems with none concentric wheels and vibration in general. The Record ones are good for avoiding all that hassle and their 5 year warranty is a lot of peace of mind. If you really want to push the boat out but don't want a £300 plus grinder like the Proedge.....add a CBN wheel to one side of the Record grinder. Fabulous technology...they don't need dressing and cut very cool so allow rapid shaping of high speed steel. They will likely add a £100 to the price though :) Maybe after a year or so...

Also, join a club, trust me it will be the best turning decision you ever make.

Thanks for the wise words! yeah i've seen those CBN wheels they do look very good. I'll be sure to post again with the new setup!

again, thanks for taking the time to reply

Joe

There are a few plans online for making your own grinding jig out of scraps of wood, including the type used for gouges.
I made mine out of steel and at very little cost. That means I can use the money saved to buy things that I can't make -
like gouges.

K

Make your own - it's cheap, will do you for a good long while and give you a lot of satisfaction!

:)

Back