Photobucket pictures missing

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyT

Established Member
Reaction score
I've just noticed that a lot of the images are missing from my recent posts on here. This seems to be a widespread problem at Photobucket, judging from people's support posts. I think in my case it's only affecting the 49 most recent images. I'll leave it a while and see if they magically reappear before I settle in for a long stretch of editing posts. :(

I always try to recommend that people should use the forums own image hosting. I know it's a PITA to use, but it's much better for others viewing the images

transatlantic":1rvkgfif said:
I always try to recommend that people should use the forums own image hosting. I know it's a PITA to use, but it's much better for others viewing the images

But much more tedious if you post to more than one forum!

BugBear

bugbear":12guawep said:
transatlantic":12guawep said:

But much more tedious if you post to more than one forum!

BugBear

Agreed, but broken links are so infuriating! .. so for me, I think its worth the hassle.

I'm vain enough to think that people want higher resolution images, at least some of the time...

Have you sorted the pics into different folders? I got caught on photobucket when I did just that. Their software doesnt remember the change and just looks for it in the old folder.
Photobucket is a nightmare now with all the ads, and for some reason, after using it for over a dozen years, I now have to log in almost every time, even though the remember me box is ticked.
hope we dont have to find another site.

Bob, I've not moved anything. It is clearly a bit broken. Recent images don't show up on here or when I'm logged in on the PC. Most of them do show up in the PB android app, but everything at the root level (not in a folder) doesn't.
It's all a bit of a mess, but I can't really believe they make much out of what is a free service for almost all their customers.

Probably one of the servers farms is having problems, it should rebuild its self.

Pete

Its gotten a lot worse recently though. Now when I upload I have to close the site and re open it before the pic shows in my folders.
But with the amount of ads they have they must be rolling in it.

OK, perhaps I'm speaking out of turn here, because apart from posting pix very occasionally on one other Forum, I only post pix on here.

And I do agree that the process of posting pix directly on here is a bit long-winded, but if I, as a complete PC Luddite can do it, so can anyone else. AND it saves readers the inconvenience of having to click on a link to see a picture/series of pictures (which sometimes don't work first time).

There's a pretty well explained sticky to show how to do it, so apart from taking that little bit longer than perhaps some other methods do, and apart from the fact that the pix here are small/low res, personally I'd recommend that people just persevere with posting their pix direct on here - after you've done it a couple of times it's very easy actually, AND you can put the pic against the text exactly where you want it.

My penn'orth. (Having never used Photobucket or any of the rest).

AES

AES

I've used photobucket for at least a dozen years, and it used to be a simple click and copy, then paste into the message and the picture appeared. Not the link, the picture.
Simplest thing ever. But like so many computer based things, the site gets "updated" quite often, and each update adds another layer of ads and options and complexity. For the last year i have been thinking about a change. Now theres been another "improvement" and there are so many ads and layers that its just not worth the effort anymore. I'm also losing pictures now. The cynic in me knows that all of this rubbish is just there to force me to pay for the ad free upgrade.

Not gonna happen. I dont react well to authority.
So it looks like I shall have to find the sticky and work out how to post direct.

sunnybob":3dfwf8nm said:
I've used photobucket for at least a dozen years, and it used to be a simple click and copy, then paste into the message and the picture appeared. Not the link, the picture.
Simplest thing ever. But like so many computer based things, the site gets "updated" quite often, and each update adds another layer of ads and options and complexity. For the last year i have been thinking about a change. Now theres been another "improvement" and there are so many ads and layers that its just not worth the effort anymore. I'm also losing pictures now. The cynic in me knows that all of this rubbish is just there to force me to pay for the ad free upgrade.

Not gonna happen. I dont react well to authority.
So it looks like I shall have to find the sticky and work out how to post direct.

That's how most free stuff works. Starts out being super easy to use with minimal to no ads. At this point, the developers are probably making little to no profit, perhaps even a loss. Then, some time later, when they have racked up a large number of users, you ramp up the ads and make a killing. When the users start to drop, rinse and repeat. Just look at youtube.

Easiest way to post photos if you have a smart phone is to use the Tapatalk App. You post directly from it - great for browsing the Forum as well.

Rod

Just in case anyone missed it in the sticky :wink:

Step 1. go to full editor

Screen Shot 2017-04-08 at 10.25.49.jpg

Then do the following, its just a few clicks of the mouse

[youtube]BCtiFjHHQec[/youtube]

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-04-08 at 10.25.49.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-04-08 at 10.25.49.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 1,174
In support of nev's post above, and bearing in mind I'm a complete silly person when it comes to confusers, (and that I've never used any other method of posting pix) it really is easy to post directly on to here - not the quickest perhaps, but VERY easy.

AES

I have no problems with posting photos on UKW directly, and do so from time to time. But is there a way to browse through a grid of all the pictures I have uploaded, so I can find the photo I want to reuse in a fresh post?

AndyT":ulzusbqz said:
I have no problems with posting photos on UKW directly, and do so from time to time. But is there a way to browse through a grid of all the pictures I have uploaded, so I can find the photo I want to reuse in a fresh post?

No, I don think so.
The only method I could think of is using the search function on the right, search by author (you) and maybe 'topics title only' if its relevant , and going from there. There is no search attachments/ pics etc.

Andy, have a look in your User Control Panel settings.
user.jpg

Do You have 'Manage attachments' option? (not always easy to check members permissions against moderators only permissions)

If so this will list all attachments with a link to the thread location, not an easy way to browse images but one, if somewhat long winded way of finding the reference.
Don't know of any easy way to find off site Image URL references.

Would expect you to see a listing such as this:-
andy.jpg

Attachments

• user.jpg
    user.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 789
  • andy.jpg
    andy.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 785
Thanks Chas. Yes, the Manage Attachments option is there - I'd not noticed it before.
It's a list of words not pictures but is potentially really useful.

It's nice to learn things by asking questions!

Back