Custom built vice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dynax

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, some advice required please, when i built my bench i never considered having a vice, but looking at them fitting one to my bench is not possible, but then i found some vice screws from Axminster, which would allow me to custom fit a 2ft wide vice at the end of my bench, firstly has anyone used these and have any advice on the best way to fit them and secondly what material would you recommend for the jaws, thanks,

link to the screw vice, http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-tr ... rew-102478

Hi.

Yes I have used a pretty much identical vice screw and its been good for 25 years. The timbers are beech and iroko but neither were chosen for there hardness. Got a piece of leather on the inner jaw to aid grip.

Not at the workshop now but the vice is pretty much like this https://au.pinterest.com/pin/569846159084386672/

Hello,

Those screws are meant to make L shaped tail vices, as Beau indicates. Ironically, they shouldn't be used as vices! They are intended to hold boards on top of the bench for planing, with bench dogs in the long leg of the L ( the bit that runs along the length of the bench top). Only this part is capable of the clamping forces, the other part is just to accommodate the wooden guide rails and should not be used for clamping as it will rack the vice and possibly permanently ruin it.

I would suggest the vice screw with twin steel guide rods that Axminster sell for a proper vice, especially the dimensions you suggest, the larger of the two. I have 2 benches which use these and they work very well.

Mike.

Edited for spelling!

having watched a Paul Sellers video earlier today, he was using sash clamps in a vice to hold the work piece instead of using bench dogs, anyway i have come to the conclusion that adopting this method i won't need a huge vice, so i will have a look at some at Machine Mart and get some measurements and see if i can fit a couple of standard vices, one on the front and another on the end, the one on the front of the bench i think i will have to make a box to fit it in and then fit that to the front of the bench it will sit on the shelf and be bolted to the front, and the other will be on the end where the compressor is at a right angle to the front,
bench1.JPG
if you can see what i mean in the photo, cheers,

Attachments

• bench1.JPG
    bench1.JPG
    186.3 KB · Views: 959
Hiya Dynax, just seen your thread and it jogged a memory from the sale section. Page 2 currrently, someone selling a vice and axminster thread (with a handle). Woking, collection only so that will probably scupper the vice but the axi twin thread is postable perhaps if you pm him maybe. Might help, might not.
axminster-trade-plain-390mm-screw-vice-guide-and-handle-t104474.html
Cheers
Chris

Hi thanks Chris, i did see them a couple of days ago, i'm still undecided as which way i am going yet,cheers,

Back