Router for a router table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

twodoctors

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Finally found a "decent enough" router table. It's a secondhand Makita P-66226, which is about 800mm wide. There are some minor bits missing (like the Starting pin and one of four clamps for the router) but nothing that will cost a bomb to replace.

Anyway now I need a router for it. I've only got a very (very very) small setup, with a baby bandsaw and table saw, and probably won't be building any furnitures in the near future. More than happy to go secondhand route (as I have for all the machinerys so far). Found a Hitachi M12V for £65,

https://www.gumtree.com/p/wood-timber/h ... 1228920377

although this may be a 110V machine. I'm also looking at the (I'm not a Makita) Katsu. Obviously it only takes 1/4" bit and max depth of 20mm (does that apply to table as well?) but it's cheap. Would it be adequate to get me started?

I bought a router table because I will only be doing small items which would be dangerous the route "off-hand", so I thought the Katsu might just do the job. Or should I get a "full fat" 1/2" router for future-proofing? How much should I be spending on the secondhand market?

Advice welcomed.

Adrian

On a budget you can't really beat the tritons for table use. I'd suggest the MOF001 but from your post I suspect the cheaper JOF001 might be the better option.

All sorts of problems reported with after sales service with Triton tools, best read this before you make up your mind: triton-mof001-router-t103782-15.html I'v had a Hitachi M12V in my table for four years without a single problem, good strong router with a very reasonable price.

Mike

Trying my luck at £50 for the Hitachi... we'll see what happens.

If nothing comes up I might have a go with the Katsu. :shock: Unless someone stops me here before that!

Adrian

Still haven't bought it yet. The guy won't take anything less than £60. The router was found in his recently-deceased old grannie's garage. No box, but the content appears to be all there. A bit dubious to be honest, especially it's a 90min return trip to pick it up.

Now pondering whether I should get a cheaper one (like Clarke/Draper/Einhell) with a 1/4" collet or this Hitachi. I don't know anything about routers, so not sure what to look (out) for. Looking at available (cheap) router bits, the cutting diameter in an identical set (different shank size) are the same. So what's the advantage of having 1/2" for small jobs? I don't think i'll be doing furniture... maybe small chest/box.

Or another recommendation? Looks like the Katsu one won't fit into a table...

Adrian

If I have understood your needs: buy the cheapo Katsui.
If your needs change replace it in the table with summat meatier
The little one will still have a place in your armoury.

I am not absolutely sure, but think the Katsu base plate will be too small to fit the router table you have, I suggest you measure the fixings under the table to ensure it will.

Mike

Back