Eclipse 66 general-purpose saws

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ED65

Established Member
Reaction score
Had atypically good luck at the last three car boots I visited and I managed to acquire a good selection of tools including a few I haven't owned before so this is the first of a few threads asking about some of my purchases.

Eclipse 66 first. Given how often they crop up at boot fairs I presume there will be one or two sprinkled among the members here :) Anyone use theirs regularly? Anyone actively a fan?

I suppose my main question should be do you think they are actually useful in the modern workshop? I've read about them so I know what they're supposed to be for but in these days of hand saws with hardened teeth I'm wondering if they've become redundant to a large degree, leaving just the very occasional job that they're ideally suited to.

If they're more of a curiosity than a properly useful addition to the kit I'll sell it on after giving it a quick spruce up. I'll make a few bob on it, enough to fund the next rusty purchase or two.

Trouble is, they're a handle, not a saw. And a new blade (non resharpenable) costs a fair bit.

(a quick search says £13 for a blade, the whole saw is £17...)

Old ones appears to sell for very little on fleabay unless the condition is truly exceptional.

BugBear

bugbear":yvztf299 said:
Trouble is, they're a handle, not a saw.
Yeah, but are they any use? :wink:

Re. selling it on, the prices on fleabay are a lot more than I paid for it so I'd make a useful profit on it even if I were selling it there. But here in Ireland the going rate for secondhand tools is considerably more than over there :D

I know the blades aren't supposed to be sharpenable but that's not strictly true. As I had to de-rust this one with a soak in vinegar it's received a smidge of a sharpen already. But if a proper resharpen were needed it wouldn't be at all impossible in these days of diamond abrasives.

I think they are to be considered a demolition saw, rather than an everyday saw.
For use when you don't know what may be hidden. Most Fire engines used(still do?) carry them.
Handy to have, but don't buy one with a blunt/damaged blade.

Bod

I've got one that I bought in the 70s for diy. I must have used it a bit then, but not since.
Maybe useful on old wood with nails in but not a specially nice tool and uncomfortable to use, whatever angle you put the handle at. I wouldn't bother buying one now.

It's the saw my dad used to give me as a kid when I was playing around bashing nails into bits of wood and turning scraps into even smaller scraps. I would guess the modern equivalent really is the reciprocating saw with a demo blade.

Back