Gate lock advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Good Morning, I'm after some advice with respect to a suitable lock for a back gate.

The gate is a solid door built into the feather edge fence. the current lock ( Yale Night latch 60mm) needs replacing and I would like something similar but more suitable for external use.

Any advice/experience welcomed. Thanks

Usually something like a Yale 89 (deadlocking) or Yale 88 (non-deadlocking) nightlatch lasts for years outside. They are usually well greased inside and most (all?) of the metals used inside don't corrode. It's what most of my customers have. And I have had one on a garden gate for over ten years with no problems.

If the door and frame are solid and thick (40 mm or more) you could change over to a mortice deadlock. It's much more work to fit. But people won't be able to reach over with a stick and open it. If you go that route you might as well spend the money and get a Chubb. (The Chubb brand doesn't exist any more for locks. It's now a Union 3G114 but it's the same, good lock.) If moisture doesn't reach the inside of the mortice and if the fore end recess is accurate, a Chubb should last over ten years. I'd fit a flappy escutcheon on both keyholes.

Gents, thank you for the help. John, given that I can get a Yale from Ironmongery... for £20 I think I will go with another of those. Thinking back I did fit the original back in 2004/5 so it's done ok.

Robin, not seen the gate mate before, looks pretty decent and will certainly be of use for a future project.

Thanks again.

I have two substantial wooden gates each side of my house. One two door in a 10 ft opening and a single door in a 5 ft opening. I chose Gatemate which are good, solid, easy to fit and can be unlocked from both sides. There was the added advantage that I could buy a pair that used the same the same key.

Back