Oak table fire damage, restore advice needed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrB

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking for advice on what options I might have to restore the table top that has a small amount of fire damage to it. Unfortunately the wife left a rather large incense stick on the table that had not been fully extinguished and subsequently continued to burn with the hot ash falling onto the table for quite sometime.

I've sanded down the charred area and exposed the undamaged wood, unfortunately there is a bit of trough. I'm guessing my only option's would be to sand the whole top surface down to even out the top surface again (overkill?) or to fill in the gap and attempt to re-polish the table top again. I do have some images but can't link them yet.

thanks

You will have no success filling it to achieve invisibility. If it is not too deep, plane or sand the top level and refinish. Or make it a more rustic table and distress it!

I'm a great believer in the cabinet scraper in these situations. But you need to work on a larger area than just the burn so that you don't create a localised depression.

Chris

Back