Small air compressor

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stormer1940

Established Member
Reaction score
Could anyone advise on a small air compressor. I'm only looking for one that is portable to power a nail gun and maybe inflate the van tyres :lol:. 6l? Maybe slightly larger and not one that breaks the bank.

they are all much the same at that size. little spring steel valves that go eventually thanks to moisture.

my B&Q one is still going strong after 10+ years though.

Some are much quieter than others. A lot use the word 'silent' in their marketing blurb, for most it's a complete joke. After buying one such compressor that requires ear defenders if you're within 50m of it I would always want to hear a compressor running before handing over my money.

I already have a 200l belt driven compressor in the workshop, I just need something more portable when out on site.

novocaine":1zps4c6b said:
thats what I used mine for, putting up fences with the nail gun.

run of a generator, was louder than that but then, that cost a whole heap more.

mine looks like this

http://www.sgs-engineering.com/sc6h-6-l ... oCyl7w_wcB

but so does the stanley at 100 notes, the SIP at 85 and the draper at 105.

I'd go with the SGS. :)

Thanks novocaine. The sgs comes with a 2 year warranty! So for that price you can't go wrong.

What size of nailer are you using with that compressor novocaine? I've just bought a Bostitch first fix one and my sip 50 litre one isn't as portable as it used to be. It's a thought nowadays to lug it in and out of the van to take to whichever job I'm doing but I don't want to buy something that's not up to the task.

Hot stuff":3idcs785 said:
What size of nailer are you using with that compressor novocaine? I've just bought a Bostitch first fix one and my sip 50 litre one isn't as portable as it used to be. It's a thought nowadays to lug it in and out of the van to take to whichever job I'm doing but I don't want to buy something that's not up to the task.

I'll let you know tonight, it's been a while since I dragged it out for that job, so much so that it's in the loft, last one I did was small so I used the brad nailer.

Fairly sure it's a 50-90mm, I know it's clipped head (that much I can remember).

Hot stuff":e8c9e6wg said:

You can get the next size up 25L for not much more. Would be interesting to see how well the smaller one wacks larger nails home.

Thanks both, it's a 50-90mm gun I've bought so I'll probably give that a try.
Sorry for the hijack Stormer, just coincidence that the new toy arrived yesterday.

Back