Ornamental Display Cabinet

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swagman

Established Member
Reaction score
I purchased the following box of bits at an Auction House around 10yrs ago. It an ornamental display case, possible built sometime during the 1940s early 1950s. 2 out of the 3 curved wooden panels are broken or cracked, most of the glued joints had either opened up or completely failed, and the backing board and hardware were missing. The only real attraction at the time was the 3 curved glass panels that were in good condition.

Each frame was pulled apart, and re-glued using a stronger modern glue.

Sections of the frames that were missing were replaced with new.

The upper and lower rails were dressed back to 90 degrees using a shooting board.

The 3 curved panels were then pinned together to allow the 180 degree circumference to be easily measured.

Determining the radius from the circumference measurement.

(2 X 492 = 984mm)

Radius = 156mm. http://www.rkm.com.au/CALCULATORS/CALCU ... phere.html

The bevel on each stile was then dressed back to conform within the given radius.

Ready for the 3 curved glass panes to be installed.

Project completed.

Fairplay Stewie that's a lovely little piece, very well done for getting it back together =D>
I know a certain someone who would love that.

Very impressive and thorough rescue/restoration, I bet you were mad as hell when someone put that paint on it :wink:

Thanks for posting, Stewie. I like the way you used a full-scale projection to find the bevel angle.

(I agree with monkeybiter about the colour though)

swagman":28vp59cm said:
The 3 curved panels were then pinned together to allow the 180 degree circumference to be easily measured.
Determining the radius from the circumference measurement.

(2 X 492 = 984mm)

Radius = 156mm. http://www.rkm.com.au/CALCULATORS/CALCU ... phere.html

Love it. Using circumference of a known segment to get the radius is brilliant (and duly noted)!

But you didn't need a website.

There's a famous number that relates diameter and circumference;

pi = C/D, so C = pi.D and D = C/pi

In your case, C = 984, so diameter = 984/3.1415 = 313, so radius is half that, 156mm

BugBear

phil.p":2p8qkfhz said:
If the three panels were a half circle and you need the radius why bother with measuring the circumference? Just measure the diameter and halve it? Or am I missing something?

How would you place/arrange the panels (which at this stage have the "wrong" bevel) so that the diameter is "correct" and could be measured?

BugBear

phil.p":3cu4io9t said:
If the three panels were a half circle and you need the radius why bother with measuring the circumference? Just measure the diameter and halve it? Or am I missing something?

Now that you mention it, if three segments makes a half-circle, why calculate anything? The radius will be equal to the length of the chord.......

Back