is this place legit to uy tools from?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevieob

Reaction score
Anyone ever shop here, really looking to find out how legit they are and if they offer good service

http://www.sawandtooling.co.uk/

I've never heard of this website. After googling on maps etc, it appears to me they are running out of a reasonably new premises, but can't find any reviews of them. It does look pretty genuine though from what I can see. my concern lies on the fact they have a brand new item which is out of production for a few years now.

They have an item I am looking for, which is actually no longer in production so it's difficult to find. I can actually only find second hand ones (none in good enough nic at the right price yet) and a couple of new (bare unit only) ones but at crazy prices on ebay etc. Also, price is about correct here for what list price of item was, and it's not to expensive to ship to Dublin . But when I click checkout, it seems to drop the VAT, so now coming in at a very nice price. we are talking an expensive item here £400ish

I understand a bit about VAT, so realise I would be liable to pay Irish VAT on it. But it is interesting because if they supply a lot to Ireland, they would be required to register for Irish VAT, so that means the don't supply to much, so that's fine. But why drop the VAT? As it is in the EU, there would be no problem. Maybe they are well prepared for Brexit I would of thought though even then, you would have to request them to drop the VAT and supply them with your Irish VAT number. I've done that before.

Never heard of the company but, if you're worried, pay by Paypal to get buyer protection. You're right about the VAT, unless you are VAT registered and supply proof, they should charge VAT.

ireland has its own vat, named CBL, and its currently 23%.
If the item is being shipped by couriers, then the english company will not charge vat, but the couriers will demand CBL is paid before delivering it.
So your item just went up 3%.

its in the EU. You either need to provide a VAT number and account for the input VAT yourself, or if you do not have one or provide one, the UK company must charge you VAT if they are registered.

I would suggest that this is a simple error, probably a machinery dealer having to now have a website. I would give them a call, and pay by credit card or paypal to cover yourself.

sunnybob":2xwhwqj8 said:
ireland has its own vat, named CBL, and its currently 23%.
If the item is being shipped by couriers, then the english company will not charge vat, but the couriers will demand CBL is paid before delivering it.
So your item just went up 3%.

I'm in account in Ireland. My company does not operate VAT as out industry is non capable, so my knowledge of VAT is basic.

But you are correct, Ireland does have its own VAT, except I don't know what the hell CBL is. Believe it or not we actually call it VAT here also. Please explain CBL?

phil.p":2mqtne5e said:
You only need to pay a small part by credit card to get the protection.

Yea I know but I got done before. Bought a pair of sunglasses. When they arrived, they were fake and not even the style I choose. Card comps y would do nothing for me. That was about 80 quid. Looking at Nealy 500 now so bit different.

I'm not to concerned about the VAT. Its more the company, would like to hear any reviews of them from punters. But the way they seem to be operating the VAT just added a concern.

I know I can ring them, but was hoping that someone might vouch for them :)

As the UK and the Republic of Ireland (’Eire’, ‘ROI’) each impose VAT under the same name, and the 2 countries have other strong links, it is a common mistake to assume that there is one single VAT regime that covers both countries. This is not the case, as they are 2 separate systems within the European Union VAT Area. This post outlines the main issues as they apply to a small UK business.

‘Ireland’ in this context refers solely to the southern part of the island. It excludes Northern Ireland, which is part of the UK together with England, Scotland and Wales.

Irish VAT is sometimes referred to as CBL (Cáin Bhreisluacha), being the Irish Gaelic translation. As at 1 January 2015 the standard rate of Irish VAT is 23%, but reduced rates of 13.5%, 9%, 5% or 4.8% may apply to some supplies.

stevieob":1is7t7vc said:
phil.p":1is7t7vc said:
You only need to pay a small part by credit card to get the protection.

Yea I know but I got done before. Bought a pair of sunglasses. When they arrived, they were fake and not even the style I choose. Card comps y would do nothing for me. That was about 80 quid. Looking at Nealy 500 now so bit different.

I'm not to concerned about the VAT. Its more the company, would like to hear any reviews of them from punters. But the way they seem to be operating the VAT just added a concern.

I know I can ring them, but was hoping that someone might vouch for them :)

The cost has to be over £100 and under £30,000 (not the payment by card).

sunnybob":3msjj9sh said:
As the UK and the Republic of Ireland (’Eire’, ‘ROI’) each impose VAT under the same name, and the 2 countries have other strong links, it is a common mistake to assume that there is one single VAT regime that covers both countries. This is not the case, as they are 2 separate systems within the European Union VAT Area. This post outlines the main issues as they apply to a small UK business.

‘Ireland’ in this context refers solely to the southern part of the island. It excludes Northern Ireland, which is part of the UK together with England, Scotland and Wales.

Irish VAT is sometimes referred to as CBL (Cáin Bhreisluacha), being the Irish Gaelic translation. As at 1 January 2015 the standard rate of Irish VAT is 23%, but reduced rates of 13.5%, 9%, 5% or 4.8% may apply to some supplies.

Ah OK. Never figured you were using the Irish. To be honest, that is basically never used. Only by awkward people from the gaeltacht. I would hazard a safe guess that maybe 1 in about 100,000 people here might have a clue what CBL so let's just call it VAT. It is 23% in this case, but again, I'm more concerned to find out if the dealer is legit.

I just ripped it straight from the web. First thing that came up when I searched for irish vat.

Back