Woodworking, Spring, Plants & Gardens

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Random Orbital Bob

Established Member
Reaction score
That thread about keen gardeners has got me thinking about how my woodworking generally gets a boost at this time of year and it occurred to me that there is a natural relationship between growing things and wanting them in something that looks nice or has a practical value. Never really thought about it before and then I started remembering some of the things I've made specifically in relation to gardening. Since the daff's are at their full yellow volume right now, I thought it might be a good time to start a gardening and woodworking related thread. So tell us what you've made out of wood (OK bits of metal allowed) that relate to the garden. Here's my starter for ten, a paper seed pot maker turned from Oak. Makes easy plant pots from newspaper that you plant straight in the ground once your seed has grown to the requisite size. (No pricking out which I hate). The roots grow straight through the paper into the soil. Brilliant idea and works really well. I use them on all my runner beans and now French beans.

Attachments

• Paper pot maker 1.JPG
    Paper pot maker 1.JPG
    131.9 KB · Views: 79
  • Paper pot maker.JPG
    Paper pot maker.JPG
    124.1 KB · Views: 80
You're spoiling my fun Phil :)

Here's the next batch of garden bits n bobs which due to the time of year are looking a bit sorry for themselves.

Planters mostly. The joining piece between the two shed facia boards was a turned (and then painted) acorn (halved) to avoid that boring diamond you traditionally see on sheds. The very tired looking cold frame was made 15 years ago at least if not 20 from pressure treated softwood so that hasn't done that bad considering its been in contact with the ground all that time. The little Birch butts with a hole band sawn out of the middle were done as decoration for a wedding. There were 20 of them originally, each filled with soil and some lovely plant of the moment growing and of course then, the bark was still vibrant and fresh looking. They have a ply bottom to prevent the soil falling out. The brown planter with the slats failing is about 10 years old and they're simply too thin. They were 1/2" oak and the joint has failed at the housing on the top rail. That's one of the reasons I made the green ones chunkier!

Attachments

• IMG_5198.JPG
    IMG_5198.JPG
    170.1 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_5199.JPG
    IMG_5199.JPG
    144.3 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_5202.JPG
    IMG_5202.JPG
    167 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_5204.JPG
    IMG_5204.JPG