Bandsaw upgrade - 12" to 14" or 16"?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matthew

Established Member
Reaction score
Currently have a Metabo BAS317 which is good, but a couple of things lacking - the fence is not easy to make minor adjustments to - and the power; the capacity of 165mm is actually OK for most things, but the 900/570W struggles with resawing a hardwood board (even after upgrading to a tuffsaws blade!).

But overall I enjoy using it and, and am thus prioritising upgrading it over a bigger TS. Considering Record BS350 or BS400; or Charnwood W730 or W740 (a new-ish model).

Is it worth considering a 14" as an upgrade from 12"? The Record BS350 isn't that much bigger, but has (I think) 1100w output power so I'm thinking would resaw eg 150-200mm timber a lot better than mine.

Space is limited in my shop so size and mobility are concerns, but OTOH a 16" is tempting. The Record seems the obvious choice, but the Charnwood has two things I like the look of more: a better-looking fence (with micro-ish adjust); and bearing blade guides as opposed the the flat-type thrust bearings (which are on my Metabo). Are either of these an issue for current Record owners?

A bit of a vague request, I realise! But if anyone has any comments/suggestions, much appreciated!

In my opinion, Charnwood is not in the same league as Record. I have the BS400 and it has been superb. I even use it for lots of fine work with a 1/8" Tuffsaw blade a lot of the time but also use the Carter Stabilizer with that and the standard blade guides with larger blades and they work well for me.

With Yandles Show and sale coming up, you could get discount and free delivry as well as the 5 year Guarantee.
Malcolm

matthew":dyk8pb8f said:
The Record seems the obvious choice, but the Charnwood has two things I like the look of more: a better-looking fence (with micro-ish adjust); and bearing blade guides as opposed the the flat-type thrust bearings (which are on my Metabo). Are either of these an issue for current Record owners?
Loads of discussion here on the BS400 if you search, this recent thread on guides...
bs400-bandsaw-upper-guide-question-concern-t101074.html

Terry

The footprint on a 16" is no more than the 14", so if you have the funds go for the larger one. Nobody has said that I know of " wish I had bought a smaller one" but many have said the opposite.

Phil

Phil is right. I have a 16" Jet. I should have an 18" or 20" (with what I now know about how much I use it) but head height where I keep it is a constraint that I wish I had overcome. For resawing etc larger capacity is good. I think most bandsaws struggle when used at anywhere near their claimed capacity. If you want to do things like cutting 1mm veneers, then some saws are challenged. Good quality blades make a big difference as does careful set up.

The Record BS400 and that ilk get good reviews here. If you compare them side by side with other saws at the next price point up, the compromises become apparent. For example, plastic hand wheels, less rigid structure, rather basic guides etc that did not impress me on the Record tools. You get what you pay for. The more expensive Jet is superior to the Record in the same way that a even more pricey Hammer, Axi Industrial and so on, is superior to the Jet. We all have to make compromises and price is always a factor.

Have you considered an old Startrite 352? Rock solid and will do all the things you seem to need. Always a few for sale on Gumtree and eBay and likely to be cheaper than the new Chinese stuff you are looking at.

Many thanks for everyone's input - always food for thought!

AJB Temple":2ekjnrt5 said:
Phil is right. I have a 16" Jet. I should have an 18" or 20" (with what I now know about how much I use it) but head height where I keep it is a constraint that I wish I had overcome. For resawing etc larger capacity is good. I think most bandsaws struggle when used at anywhere near their claimed capacity

The Record BS400 and that ilk get good reviews here. If you compare them side by side with other saws at the next price point up, the compromises become apparent. For example, plastic hand wheels, less rigid structure, rather basic guides etc that did not impress me on the Record tools.

Having visited a local shop to check the Record, I concur - I wasn't keen on the fence or the blade guides, two things I was definitely looking to upgrade on my current saw.

Despite the appeal/logic of going larger, in the end I went for the SIP 14". My initial motivation was wanting a little more capacity/power over my current one... then I got into the dreaded feature creep... Eg Charnwood/SIP 16" = £1100; but then actually £1400 buys the Axminster or Startrite... etc which seem much better machines.

An unwieldy job reminded me of my need to keep things mobile/flexible in a small workshop, so went with smaller, and accepted it may not be the last bandsaw I ever buy... but for now it has better guides, better fence, and 60% extra cut depth and power over the current one.

Setting up this weekend!

Ha! Feature creep can affect me too - it almost did when I purchased my bandsaw. Good luck with the new one. Maybe post a review here in due course.

Back