Who needs machines?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
or wasted, your call. :)

(note, I'm happy to resaw by hand, have done it more than I have done it with a machine, but it isn't the be all and end all)

If that's your idea of fun then great, I would rather have some power tools I think.

Now what he really needs though is a machine to sort out that hair! lol

A person who deliberately uses hand tools when power tools are available is a Luddite.
And we all know what happened to them, dont we.

Hand tool skill is valuable. So is time. I love working by hand, but I use machines when they will save me significant time or give a more predictable result.

It's great to have hand tool skills and also to know how to use machinery. The trick is knowing which is the most appropriate for the job in hand.

What about when you have no power available? e.g in the middle of a field? I am part of a re-enactment group and as such, we cannot use power tools for reasons of authenticity. Our carpender and blacksmith can ,and do, make anything we require, even tools. This year we will have a pole lathe as well which will expand our range even more!

Each to their own guys. Some people love to know they've made everything by hand. For me my passion is about creating and as it's a hobby I have limited time so I'll use power tools and machines whenever I can. In fact I very much enjoy using the machines more than I do the hand skill but that's what I enjoy. I am very happy to read that others enjoy no power tools but it's too slow for my needs. Each to their own!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bourbon":jauc52t0 said:
What about when you have no power available? e.g in the middle of a field? I am part of a re-enactment group and as such, we cannot use power tools for reasons of authenticity. Our carpender and blacksmith can ,and do, make anything we require, even tools. This year we will have a pole lathe as well which will expand our range even more!

That would be knowing when to use hand tools and knowing when to use machines. I expect that both of them go home and do it differently.
It's very important to know how to use hand tools, you can not make with machines alone, no matter what the american youtubers want you to think. it's also important to gain the understanding of what a machine is doing for you, which is saving you time and you need to understand that against how much time you would spend doing the same with hand tools.

lol you guys are delusional... Who made the machines? Man with their hands! Therefore you are just using tools someone made to ease of doing a task.
That guy in a video is a Hippie tree huger.
If you are so broke that you can't get a simple machine to do the task 20x-50x faster with 10x better results , than by all means do it with cheap hand-tools.
We have a limited time on this Earth guys... Don't waste it...
If your passion however is doing everything with hand tools and it makes you happy - than by all means do it, just don't try to brainwash/convert someone to do it your way when you know yourself that it isn't the most productive way to spend your time&effort.

MrDavidRoberts":1gn6fa4b said:
lol you guys are delusional... Who made the machines? Man with their hands!

once, now it's other machines. and who made those machines, other machines, it's machines all the way down till you get to a little man at the bottom of the heap that made the first one. he regrets it now. :)

Latest posts

Back