Rutlands Xact Pocket Hole Jig

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've got one and also the Kreg mini jig. It's OK but since I got the little Kreg jig I tend to only use that. The finish on mine wasn't great. It didn't affect its use but I squared it up in the mill.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I've got the UJK equivalent jig and it's very good quality. Bit cheaper than the Kreg but more expensive than Rutlands IIRC.

Well I managed to convince myself that it wasn't worth spending £30 on something I might not use, or not use very often. Then I decided to look at the mini jig porker mentioned.

Now, £12.50 inc delivery is more my kind of price, it's worth a punt for that price.

The Kreg does the job properly: You have to allow for different thicknesses of stock (meaning the holes enter the work at different distances from the eventual mating surface). To do this the jig needs to be height-adjustable, with respect to the clamp. And it needs to clear chips easily (to stop the drill overheating).

Kreg or UJK. Both are well thought out. My Kreg kit came with a good instructional DVD, and I'm extremely pleased with it. It's quite a lot more than you want to spend, I appreciate, but I wouldn't swap it, and I'm glad I stumped-up. You can also use it just clamped-on (without the clamp part of the jig), but that does reduce the accuracy a bit.

When you assemble stuff, the joint does need to be held rigid in the right position, otherwise the angled screw can pull it out of alignment pretty easily. I'm sure you don't _need_ the special clamps (I don't have any), but you do need some clamping arrangements of some sort. I've learned this the hard way!

E.

PS: The Kreg one has a good storage box too - good as there are small parts to look after. Dunno about the others though.

PPS: Whatever screws you use need to have a wide flat head on the underneath (screwthread) side, so that they pull on the biggest area of wood possible - countersunk screws will probably split the wood or pull through. Robertson screws (square-headed drive) are the nicest to use, by far, with Torx a close second. Most other types will cause frustration when assembling and trying to get a screw into an awkward slot.

you don't need that parody...
Get the real kreggmini which is like under 15pounds- the most versatile pocket hole jig there is.
you are much better off just using the mini one than the ones where you can clamp the piece in as they are so much more practical/versatile!

MrDavidRoberts":yijli819 said:
you don't need that parody...
Get the real kreggmini which is like under 15pounds- the most versatile pocket hole jig there is.
you are much better off just using the mini one than the ones where you can clamp the piece in as they are so much more practical/versatile!

I'd disagree. I have both types and WAY prefer the clamping one, so much quicker and easier to use. But of course, it all depends on the type of job.

Hello,

Yes, I have it, the Rutland's one that is, and it works fine. The adjustment for different thicknesses of boards is essential, some cheap jigs don't have that. I needed the jig for a particular job though. If you don't need it specifically I would not get any pocket hole jig TBH. They are for very specific purposes and not a substitute for other joinery methods. If you think they will somehow transform your working methods, and make all kinds of proper joinery obsolete, then you'll be disappointed. I know there are lots of YouTube videos with jobs being done with pocket hole jigs, but unless your expectations are low, then I would suggest there are better ways. Connecting man made boards to table aprons and the like, fine.

Mike.

I went with a Kreg mini which I loved and then because I liked it so much and had a load of drawers to make I bought the K5 system. All very good in my view.

Thanks all,

I have ordered the kreg mini from fleabay.

My next question is what type of screws to use. It seems everyone has their own idea, from "only kreg" to "any flat head will do" and even "drywall screws and m4 washers".

I have some drywall screws and m4 washers, so I guess these will be used on my first test, I also have some self tappers which I will try too.

What do others use?

Kreg. Easily had from Amazon (just ordered some more, yesterday).

Don't forget that for best strength the distance the screw penetrates, and where it goes in across the stock both matter. Your drywall screw and washer should work fine, but you do need to know how much it will project and set the jig and drill depth stop accordingly.

It's why I like my K4, incidentally - it does all the hard thinking for me :)

E.

I'm a total noob to all things woodworking, but used the K4 recently to fix my first tabletop to frame. Rock solid, so a +1 for Kreg from me.

i also tested other screws than Kreg, with little success. The Kreg screws make the joint very solid.

F.

Back